Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tgm1024
Level 8

Roku Ultra: No way to power off my TV?

Jump to solution

(Regarding Roku Ultra)

I'm not sure I understand this, am I right in that there is no way to power off my TV?

The Roku already knew enough (either by EDID or something else crafty) to recognize my TV well enough to have the side volume buttons control the TV directly, but there is no power button?

Can I reprogram either the A or B?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dwhelm
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra: No way to power off my TV?

Jump to solution

I had this issue but this instruction solved my problem. You have to find the code that controls both power and volume.

https://support.roku.com/article/360004 ... -on-my-tv-

0 Kudos
32 Replies
Bacon
Level 9

Jump to solution
They should let you hold the home button to be able to put the device in sleep mode and turn off the TV like the Apple TV does. 
0 Kudos
Nebo1ss
Level 7

Jump to solution
Using hdmi CEC mine turns the TV on with no problem but it does not turn it off. I always press the home button when i finish using the device since I find this is more likely to allow it to sleep.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution
"Bacon" wrote:
They should let you hold the home button to be able to put the device in sleep mode and turn off the TV like the Apple TV does. 

That would be a reasonable solution. Other than that, since the Roku has no power button, why would people assume you can power off a TV with it? For myself, I'll power everything up with the Roku remote, and then use the TV remote to power everything off. That works for both my Panasonic and Samsung TV, both with Yamaha AVRs. Neither AVR can be volume controlled with the Roku remote, so I have to have the TV remote handy anyway (since the TV remote does control the AVR volume).
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Level 7

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
Other than that, since the Roku has no power button, why would people assume you can power off a TV with it? 

Because in the history of remote controls, you almost always been able to use one to both turn on and turn off a device (if it has power functions at all). The AppleTV doesn't have a power button or advertise that their remote can use CEC to turn off the TV, but it works that way. 
I think an AppleTV-style function (hold down the "Home" button, use the popup on the screen to confirm) would be both something they could add, and a very useful feature. 
0 Kudos
tgm1024
Level 8

Jump to solution
"mikebdoss" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
Other than that, since the Roku has no power button, why would people assume you can power off a TV with it? 

Because in the history of remote controls, you almost always been able to use one to both turn on and turn off a device (if it has power functions at all). The AppleTV doesn't have a power button or advertise that their remote can use CEC to turn off the TV, but it works that way. 
I think an AppleTV-style function (hold down the "Home" button, use the popup on the screen to confirm) would be both something they could add, and a very useful feature. 

I think so too.  Actually, it was among the first things I tried since it seemed so intuitive somehow.  I wonder if a remote firmware update is possible in the future....

Not having a way to turn off the TV directly definitely violates the "Law of Least Surprise" IMO.

I suppose I'll have to look into getting the SideClick.
0 Kudos
Dwhelm
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had this issue but this instruction solved my problem. You have to find the code that controls both power and volume.

https://support.roku.com/article/360004 ... -on-my-tv-

0 Kudos
rigogs
Level 7

Jump to solution
it powers my Panasonic ON but will NOT turn OFF, first Roku box I had no issues, so got another as my son wanted one for his bedroom and this new one no OFF, got replacement from Amazon--no OFF.  Will keep trying other sound on-off from setup and see if one of those work--had tried a few and it did not make a difference, will have to make notes,
0 Kudos
lnxpro
Level 7

Jump to solution
Same with my panasonic tv. the enhanced remote can power it on but not off. volume works just fine. i went through all the codes and none of them are able to control the power off. only power on and volume keys.

I did find it odd that this started happening after the december 4th update. my enhanced remote used to power the panasonic tv off just fine.
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 7

Jump to solution
They do let you turn the tv off its called you have to buy a new remote with the tv button...I waited and waited for a feature like hold down home but finally gave in.
0 Kudos