Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julesberg
Channel Surfer

New voice remote will not control volume on sonos speakers (hdmi 3)

I just bought a new simple voice remote and it won't control the volume of my sonos speakers.  My old nonvoice remote will, but it stopped controlling the power.  I've tried unplugging both the roku tv and the sonos speaker and re-pairing.  I can't figure out how (if possible) to fix this?

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Re: New voice remote will not control volume on sonos speakers (hdmi 3)

Which remote model did you purchase and which Roku TV model do you own? A simple remote is not a voice remote. A simple remote has no on or off button and it also does not have voice. That’s why it’s called a simple remote. Most Roku TV’s come with an IR remote. Which Sonos speaker are you using? Is it plugged into HDMI Arc?

0 Kudos
Julesberg
Channel Surfer

Thank you!  I got so confused looking through all the posts.

I bought "Roku Voice Remote with TV Controls"

Delivered May 2

Roku Voice Remote (Official) for Roku Players and Roku TVs
Roku Voice Remote (Official) for Roku Players and Roku TVs

Return or replace items: Eligible through June 2, 2022

Buy it again
 View your item

My Roku TV is a TCL Roku TV.  That's all I see under info.  It is updated.
0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Ok so that remote will work with your TV. So is the remote all set up? You can turn your tv on and off? Launch channels? Correct? But the problem is it won’t control the volume on your Sonos soundbar? Unplug your soundbar and change the sound settings so it’s just using your TV speakers. Does the new remote control the tv volume? If so there is nothing wrong with the TV or the remote. You need to be sure the Sonos is plugged into the HDMI Arc 

https://support.roku.com/article/360052889313

0 Kudos
Julesberg
Channel Surfer

Thanks.  It is plugged into HDMI Arc.  I can control the tv volume but not the sonos.  My old one allows me to control the sonos.  I guess my problem IS getting the speaker to work with the controller so I should be on a sonos help.  Right?

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@Julesberg  Can you turn the volume up and down with your TCL remote that came with your TV? You can also try this. Download the Roku Remote Control app to your smartphone. See if you can control the volume that way. If your new Voice Remote is programmed and does everything it should then it should control the Sonos too. 

0 Kudos
Julesberg
Channel Surfer

Thank you.  It is weird because it controls all the tv except for sound.  I have the app on my phone but haven't used it in a while.  I just tried to and the app is not connecting with the previously added tv.  what a mess.

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@Julesberg  The app will work. iOS? Android? I use the app constantly. It works believe me. Uninstall the app and reboot your phone. Also in order for the app to work your Roku TV and phone both need to be on the same WiFi signal. Meaning both on 2.4 or both on 5.0

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@Julesberg 

Refresh the cec devices in the Roku tv settings> system> control other devices> upgrade cec devices> ok

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@StreamerSue wrote:

Also in order for the app to work your Roku TV and phone both need to be on the same WiFi signal. Meaning both on 2.4 or both on 5.0

That is not accurate. I can control any of my Roku devices with my phone. The phone is connected to 5 GHz, some of the Rokus are on 5 GHz, some are on 2.4 GHz, and some are wired. I can control them all. I can switch the phone to 2.4 GHz and still control them all.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.