Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elisa

Why you have to press button on stick to turn on?

I purchased ROKU streaming 4 during prime sale…we already have one downstairs. This one requires I press a power button located on the top of the actual stick as the remote will not turn it on.  Why is there a button on the ROKU stick? Is this a power button? Why must I do this in order to power the ROKU? My other ROKU doesn’t have this….help! I’m ready to return…

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why you have to press button on stick to turn on?

Here's a guess:

A change introduced by Roku operating system version 10.5 sdded added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the latest Roku models. The new "Auto power savings" item there will put your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a period of inactivity, such as when your tv has been turned off for a while.

Pressing a Roku control key on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute which act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation.

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, under "Auto power savings" see if deactivating any power saving options you find there will prevent your Roku from going into standby.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
ShellyTube

I have the same issue. Did you find a solution? I don't have a power option in my settings>system menu as suggested in the first reply.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ShellyTube

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos