Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrankJWagner
Reel Rookie

ROKU turning on my TV at night

I bought a new ROKU, and it's turning on my TV at night.  How do I stop this other than disconnecting the ROKU?

[post moved to appropriate board]

38 REPLIES 38
jjnova

Re: ROKU turning on my TV at night

Is it a standalone box? I had the same problem at one point, and I found out it was a combination of the CEC settings and the YouTube app. I was able to fix it by exiting the YouTube channel before turning off the TV.

If that doesn't work, or isn't your problem, you can disable CEC in the settings. Good luck!

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@jjnova wrote: I was able to fix it by exiting the YouTube channel before turning off the TV.

In fact, if you have a stand alone unit, it's a good idea to exit WHATEVER channel you are watching and return to the Roku home screen before turning off the TV.  This assures that the Roku doesn't continue to stream in the background and use up your data limit (if your ISP applies one). 

(I don't know if a tv with built in Roku streams in the background when the tv is off.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
FrankJWagner
Reel Rookie

I've been away for a couple of weeks.  Last night we didn't go to YouTube at all.  We watched a movie on Amazon, and the TV automatically came on again and went to the RUKU channel using our source/input function. 

One of the first posts indicated that I should turn off the CEC function.  I don't know what that is or where to find it.  Any help to find that or any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks  Frank Wagner

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@FrankJWagner  Thanks for the note here. 

CEC will need to be disabled in your TV's settings. On your Roku device, try turning off '1-touch play' in Settings> System>Control other devices. That should help. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
jbmiller
Reel Rookie

ROKU turning on my TV randomly

I have found a similar problem... but it is related to my cellphone not my remote.  I have the roku application on my phone.  The application is not running in the background that I can tell.  When I am on the phone near the TV and I end the call the TV comes on.  I am using a Roku sound bar.  I thought it was the remote at first but the pattern is definitely clear it is my cellphone.  I have a Samsung Note 10.  I didn't see anything posted like this anywhere and this might be everyone else's issue too thinking it is the remote.

jbmiller
Reel Rookie

ROKU turning on my TV randomly

I figured out that even though I had closed the app and removed it from memory by the close all apps function, Roku was still running in the background.  I had to go to the app in my settings and force a stop.  This released the app from my phone and stopped turning on my TV.

0 Kudos
HermionesMom
Reel Rookie

Re: ROKU turning on my TV randomly

I finally figured out what was turning on my Roku tv right after I would turn it off. I have a JBl sound bar that’s connected to my roku tv, and sometimes I Bluetooth my phone to the sound bar to play music. When the Bluetooth on my phone is on, it tries to automatically connect to the sound bar when I turn the TV off, and because it’s turning the speaker back on in a sense it’s turning my TV back on. All I had to do was turn the Bluetooth off on my phone and my Roku TV quit turning on.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@HermionesMom wrote:

I finally figured out what was turning on my Roku tv right after I would turn it off.

All I had to do was turn the Bluetooth off on my phone and my Roku TV quit turning on.

I was reviewing some old posts and just saw this.  Thanks for reporting back.  I wish more people would do this as it may help someone with the same problem in the future -- at least those few people who bother to search for answers before adding the umpteenth thread about the same problem.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
HermionesMom
Reel Rookie

Exactly! Although.. I thought I had it all figured out but my roku tv started turning back on again. I recently (about 1.5mo this ago) purchased a new remote. I took the batteries out of that, turned my tv off and it stayed off! It has been a week now with no issues. I had just replaced the batteries too.. I’m going to try a new set of batteries before returning the remote. 

0 Kudos