Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku express 3930x after windows 11 update

@jph57 

The Roku Premiere 3920 is using the 2.4ghz band of your network.  This is the same band that the 3930 Express needs to be configured properly in order to work.  The fact that you have two 3930 Express devices behaving similarly while the 3920 is not similarly affected would seem to indicate that there may be a bug in the OS 11 build regarding these two devices.

The only other thing I would personally try to fully exhaust the remedies available to end user... (I would do this on only one of the suspect 3930 Express and not both.)

1. Perform a manual System Update. (Settings/System/ System Update)

2. Unplug the device for an extended period of time.

3. Factory Reset. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset or Press and hold Reset button for 30+ seconds).

I really don't like recommending Factory Resets when devices are having connection issues but you have spare working devices and at least some "limited" connection ability so may be worth trying as a last resort.

----

If the above things do not work, I think @RokuKariza-D will need to forward you to the Roku support team unless she has other insight she can provide.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
jph57
Binge Watcher

did the system update yesterday

left one of them unplugged overnight because I thought the same thing

did a factory reset on one of them yesterday

nothing had been changed on the router and all were working just fine the other night, so you can see where the frustration comes in.  I exhausted all the normal things and did all my research before I finally broke down and posted here.  greatly appreciate everybody's input. just haven't found the right solution yet.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@jph57 

A few more avenues to explore.  Take both of your Express devices to both of the known working locations (Ultra and Premiere locations).  Make sure you use the power cable with the power adapter and wall outlet power - not TV USB power port.

Other thing to try is see if you can connect your Express devices to a mobile hotspot if available to you and stream the Channels that were giving you an issue. (Basically if you can connect to a mobile hotspot or an alternate network (friend, family, etc) then leads to network issue - still may be caused by OS but trying to narrow down issue.)

Since you know how to access your router settings, try changing your wireless channels on the 2.4ghz. (Try ch. 1, 6, and 11).  You should not have to restart your router when simply changing wireless channels, but doesn't hurt either.  Just remember to press Save Settings though.

0 Kudos
jph57
Binge Watcher

so I took the working 3920 and put in place of one of the 3930's.  As soon as I turned it on, it said "updating software".  When it finished, it did not work giving me the same message as the 3930 issue. I took it back to where it was before and now it displays the same 3930 message.  I don't dare take the ultra and switch it for fear I won't have anything working.

changed router channels between 1, 6 and 11 (which it was on) but it did not help.

I surmise that it is indeed an OS 11 issue.

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

@jph57  Disconnect your phone from the WiFi. Turn on your phones mobile hotspot. Connect your non working Roku to your phones hotspot. If your Roku works then it’s something with your home network. All 6 of my Roku devices updated to OS with zero issues 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@jph57 

Chances are your Roku Ultra is using the 5ghz band so you are probably good to go on that end.  And if all else fails, you should be able to connect via ethernet cable. (However, some users have indicated they lost both wireless and ethernet capability of the Ultra 4800 after the OS 11 updates).

Sometimes these updates affect different devices and users differently.  Some users have no issues and others it can give headaches.  Kind of why Roku "rolls" out their updates over time.

"so I took the working 3920 and put in place of one of the 3930's"

Since your Premiere 3920 is now down, I don't think it is the update.  I think it is related to your 2.4 ghz band.  I know you checked before at the beginning of the thread, but are you sure your Wireless Mode is still set to b/g/n and hasn't somehow switched back to g/n?  With certain cable routers, the 2.4ghz Roku devices will not be able to connect without this setting.

If you are using the same SSID (network name) for both bands, the easy way to determine if the 2.4ghz is operating correctly is to use a wifi analyzer app from Play/Apple Store.  Otherwise, you can use different names for each band so you can tell if device is actually able to connect to a preferred band.

For troubleshooting, I would also remove the password from the 2.4ghz band settings just to eliminate that as a contributor. (can always add it back later after testing).

Basically, you are now needing to verify if indeed your 2.4 ghz band is actually On, Broadcasting, and set up correctly since all your 2.4ghz band Roku devices have dropped.

0 Kudos
jph57
Binge Watcher

already have 2 names.  one with a 2 at the end to signify 2.4, the other with a 5 at the end for the 5.

router still says b/g/n

removed p/w on router....no change

FastFurious
Roku Guru

@jph57   have you tried hooking your Roku up to your phone‘s mobile hotspot? this will eliminate any no issues with your home network

0 Kudos
jph57
Binge Watcher

I'm trying, but Roku isn't finding my hotspot when I have it scan

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@jph57 

Verify that you have your hotspot AP set to 2.4ghz.

0 Kudos