Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Moved and Lost my remote!

Jump to solution

You can either:

1) Get a replacement remote:  The $20 Voice Remote or $30 Voice Remote Pro are available at Roku.com or Walmart/Best Buy/Amazon/etc.  Once you pair the remote to your Roku TV you can configure it for your new WiFi at Settings/Network/Set up connection.

2) Reconfigure your new WiFi network to match your old WiFi network's WiFi+password:  this requires accessing the modem/router/gateway configuration pages and manually editing the SSID name and password so that it perfectly matches what the old SSID name+password were.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser wrote:

2) Reconfigure your new WiFi network to match your old WiFi network's WiFi+password:  this requires accessing the modem/router/gateway configuration pages and manually editing the SSID name and password so that it perfectly matches what the old SSID name+password were.

Note that this suggestion will not work if:

• Your Roku TV must was no successfully connecting to your old network when you disconnected it from that network.
  • You have removed the TV's old network settings via a Network connection reset (Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset) or via a Factory reset (Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset or pressing and holding the reset button for at least 30 seconds with the power on).

If successful, you should then again be able to control your Roku via the Roku app (not The Roku Channel app) on a mobile device connected via WiFi to that same SSID and password.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Cbb1

Re: Cannot connect to Roku to Wifi without remote

Jump to solution

You need your old Wifi info. Set up your new router with the EXACT same name and password as your old router then your Roku device will auto connect to your new router and you can control with any mobile device. You will need a new physical remote if you want to change your WiFi information on the device. 

0 Kudos
madiann44
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I can't change my network name to match the last one because it's been almost a year since we had that wifi so I don't remember the network name.

Additionally we now live in a shared space and don't have full control over the wifi password/network. 

Lastly, I don't really want the app to be the remote because there is no volume button.

0 Kudos
madiann44
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I can't change my network name to match the last one because it's been almost a year since we had that wifi so I don't remember the network name.

Additionally we now live in a shared space and don't have full control over the wifi password/network. 

Lastly, I don't really want the app to be the remote because there is no volume button.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@madiann44 

As @StreamerUser suggested, you should get a remote. Best would be a Voice Remote, around $20, unless it's a really old Roku device that supports IR only.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
MaxiBelas

Roku setup without the remote

Jump to solution

A friend gave me his old roku but not the remote control. I'm trying to set it up and found remoku thanks to this sub, but it's not detecting any device at my IP address. Does the roku have it's own IP? If so, how can I find out what it is without the remote? I feel like I'm in an endless loop of frustration! Thanks for your help. I'm computer illiterate and feel like a fool.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku setup without the remote

Jump to solution

You didnt mention the Roku model name/# (it matters).

Unless you know what SSID+password combo was previously used with it, and assuming its a wireless only/configured device, you need the remote to set it up.

You can't reach its IP using the app until its on the same network (as the app's device), and it cant get on the network until it has the WiFi SSID+password.

You can:

1) Buy a remote:  For official remotes, either the $20 Voice Remote (RCAL7R) or $30 Voice Remote Pro (RCS01R) can be used, and can be obtained from Roku.com/Walmart/Best Buy/Amazon/etc.

For unofficial remotes (only works with non-stick models), you'd need an IR-only Universal/Roku pre-programmed remote, which can be had for $5-15 at Walmart/Best Buy/Amazon/etc.

2) Configure your SSID+password to match what the Roku is currently configured for - you'd then be able to use a remote app.

3)  Use a very convoluted method involving several different devices one of which is acting as a HotSpot and connecting/disconnecting different devices.  @makaiguy  may be along to provide all the information.

4)  You probably want to Factory Reset the device (if it isnt already) and create your own Roku account and register the Roku to it - otherwise your device will still be on his Roku account and potentially using all of his logins etc.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Re: Roku setup without the remote

Jump to solution

Here's the convoluted method mentioned by @StreamerUser 

Although it should work, I'd still recommend getting a compatible remote as it is not only a lot easier, but should you ever need to set up your connection again you'll be glad to have a backup remote.

You will need all of these:

-- A Roku that is still set up for its prior network. If it was no longer connecting to that network when it was shut down, if its network settings have been cleared, or if it has undergone a factory reset, your only recourse is to use a compatible remote to set the Roku network connection up.

-- Knowledge of the network name (SSID) and password from its former network that the Roku is currently configured to use.

-- Access to your new router's control panel.

-- A mobile phone with WiFi hotspot capabilities.

-- A second WiFi-equipped mobile device, either a phone or tablet, with the official Roku (not TheRokuChannel) app installed.

If you have all these things, here's how you do it:

1) Configure the WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone to use the same network name (SSID) and password from your former home network that the Roku is currently configured to use. If your hotspot can use the 5 GHz WiFi band, switch it to the 2.4 GHz band for compatibility with all Roku models.

2) After you turn on this hotspot, pull the power plug on your Roku for a few seconds then plug it back in. When the Roku starts up it should connect to the hotspot and through the phone to the internet. You just won't be able to control the Roku yet.

3) Connect your second device (phone or tablet) to the first phone's WiFi hotspot network.

4) Now that this second device and your Roku are both connected to the same WiFi hotspot, you can run the Roku app on the second device to gain control of your Roku using the app's remote control capabilities.

5) Using the app on the second device, set up the new network on the Roku, via Settings > Network > Set up network, using the new network's SSID and password.

6) When the Roku connects to the new network, disconnect the second mobile device from the WiFi hotspot and connect it to the new home network (SSID and password).

7) You can now continue to use the Roku app on the second device to operate your Roku on the new network.

😎 The Roku is no longer connecting to your phone's WiFi hotspot, so you can shut that down. If you wish, you can also use the Roku app on this phone to control your Roku.

If you decide to try this, please report back how it worked.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Mjnott549

Connecting Roku to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

I’m trying to connect my Roku to the tv, and my phone WiFi and tv WiFi are both connected. But I do not have the remote and need to connect manually, is there any way to look up the IP address to connect manually over the app???? I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. My tv isn’t popping up on the Roku connect devices part

0 Kudos