Lights & power

Add Roku lights and smart plugs to your smart home. Learn how it works with virtual assistants, get troubleshooting tips, and find resources from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrh0
Channel Surfer

Use Roku Remote to control Smart Plug?

I have a monitor that lacks a power switch.  Instead, like most monitors, it powers down when it is no longer receiving a signal from HDMI or whatever interface is being used.  I would like to have my HDMI audio splitter plugged in to the smart plug, so when the splitter loses power, the monitor shuts down.  As other functions of the Roku Remote work normally, it would be nice to have the on/off button control the smart plug, so there wouldn't be a need for a second remote.  And using the smartphone would be very inconvenient!

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Use Roku Remote to control Smart Plug?

Hi @jrh0,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for posting about your inquiry. We appreciate your feedback, and we value your input. Rest assured that we'll pass this along to the appropriate Roku team for review.

If there's anything we can further assist you with in the future, please don't hesitate to let us know.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mgseattle

I worked also like an answer to this....

0 Kudos
mgseattle

I would also like an answer to this... Using a Roku Streambar on a computer monitor..no earc HDMI so Roku remote can't power off monitor (HDMI only). Would like to use and/or program the Roku Streambar remote to power off the monitor if I plug the monitor into a Roku Smart plug...

0 Kudos
jrh0
Channel Surfer

I have the Roku Smart Plug controlled by the Roku Pro remote, that has buttons "1" and "2" that can have voice commands assigned to them.  "1" is to turn on the Smart Plug and my monitor, "2" for off.  Apparently, I can't have a "toggle" command that would only consume one button.  But it's not direct. The monitor is plugged into an always active outlet and I have an HDMI splitter (avedio links 4K@60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor) plugged into the Smart Plug.  When the monitor loses an HDMI signal it automatically goes into sleep mode, as it would when used with a computer.  My speaker also turns off when the splitter is no longer feeding a signal to it, so I need to use the speaker's remote to turn it on when I also press "1" on the Roku remote for the monitor.  I'd love to have one remote do it all, maybe a SofaBaton U2 would do it?  $60 to find out!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I know of no way for any Roku Home device (light, smart plug, etc.) to be controlled through a Roku player or TV. The only Roku Home product that is visible on a Roku player/TV are the cameras. And even there you can't control anything, simply view the video feed and hear any audio from the camera.

The post above mentions using a voice command, but I can find no documentation that voice commands on a Roku remote are compatible with Roku Home devices. The only control method for the smart plugs and lights is using the Roku Home app on a phone or tablet. Note that this is a completely different app from the Roku remote app that can control a Roku player or TV.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.