Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: YoutubeTV Fast Forward Freezes

Hey there, that YouTube TV buffering sounds super annoying! Especially since a reset didn't fix it. No worries though, I've been there. Here's what helped me with buffering issues in the past:

• YouTube TV Support Might Know More: They might be aware of a problem affecting certain channels or Roku devices specifically. They can be your best bet for an inside scoop.
  • Wired Connection is King: Your WiFi speed seems alright, but for streaming, a wired ethernet connection straight to your Roku can be way more stable. Less chance of random hiccups.
  • Make Sure Your Roku is Updated: Sometimes outdated software can cause weird issues. Check if there are any Roku software updates available.
  • Reinstall the YouTube TV App: It might sound simple, but sometimes a reinstall can clear up any corrupted data messing things up.

Hopefully one of these tricks does it! If not, YouTube TV support should be able to dig deeper and get you back to fast-forwarding smoothly.

JimInSRQ
Channel Surfer

@stevebus is spot on.  Everything he describes is the same thing dozens of other are describing.

This is specific to YTTV on Streambar with latest version, my other Roku devices work fine.  I guess I'm going to have to install my FireStick and use the Streambar as a ARC device only.  YTTV comprises 90% of the stuff I watch and I can't watch same day recordings because of this issue.

There are enough entries on this thread with OS versions, device versions, etc that they should be able to figure this out. Roku needs to collaborate with YTTV and collectively they need to get their s*** together. 

sports_cats21
Reel Rookie

The exact same thing is happening to me. Is there any update on when this will be fixed? It’s especially annoying during sports. I contacted YouTube tv and we went through every possible troubleshooting fix and then I luckily stumbled upon this forum. If anyone could give me an update that would be great. 

Broncobri5

Is there really 9 pages of problems and no mention of solution ? Can someone at least acknowledge they are doing something and this is an issue?

HIDave1
Channel Surfer

What? You're trolling, right? Nobody's this oblivious. 

0 Kudos
HIDave1
Channel Surfer

Apologies. The "are you trolling" reply was for robertwolf1. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@HIDave1  et al:

TL;DR:

Google published/allowed the wrong YT/YTTV app versions (2.23.115025164/2.23.115025068) for OS13 on the Streambar/Streambar Pro (910x) - these versions are intended for the Ultra/Ultra LT (4800/4801/4802) on OS13.

The Streambar and Streambar Pro use different versions/builds than the Ultra/Ultra LT and should hopefully receive the correct ones soon:  Google needs to publish the correct ones relative to the OS version (OS13) and model (910x) via their Roku developer publishing control panel.

Streambar users should contact YTTV CS and push them on this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full(er) explanation

Google (and NetFlix) uses model/model type specific YT/YTTV app versions/builds relative to the hardware SoCs (e.g. RTD131x, MStar C2, etc) in each model/model type and the RokuOS version/build. 

The different YT/YTTV versions/build correspond to different groups of devices, and each group receives YT/YTTV app upgrades relative to other other groups and RokuOS upgrades/updates (aka "tracks").

Sometimes the groups coincide/share their YT/YTTV app versions (specifically Latest & Best), generally some time after Latest's release, or after an OS upgrade.

YT/YTTV minor versions usually increment with/shortly after OS upgrades:  e.g 2.23 --> 2.24, or 2.22 --> 2.23.

There are (currently) 5 different "tracks" of YT/YTTV app version/builds:

1)  Latest = YT/YTTV 2.24.xxxxxxxxx = The most recently released player model(s), not necessarily the most capable model (RTD131X based;  e.g. 3941x2/3820x2)

2) Best = YT/YTTV 2.23.xxxxxxxxx = The most capable/functional player model (RTD131X based; e.g. 4800/4802)

3) Other/Older 4K/HDR = YT/YTTV 2.22.xxxxxxxxx = Other/Older) 4K/HDR-capable player models (non-RTD131x based; e.g. 4670/3810) )

4) Older HD = YT/YTTV 2.20.xxxxxxxxx = HD models (non-RTD131x based; e.g. 3910/3800)

5) Legacy = YT/YTTV 2.0.xxxxxxxxx = Older models no longer supported (older RokuOS versions; SoC varies; e.g. 2710)

NOTE:  Roku TV's get YT/YTTV app versions relative to these types/groups.

In the case of the Streambar/Streambar Pro, these are based on the MStar C2 (SoC's akin to Other/Older non-RTD131x 4K/HDR models), and should be on the 2.22 track (OS12), or in the case of a minor version upgrade relative to OS13: 2.23 - but with a different build (than those of RTD131x based models).

These two devices should not have the same version/build as any RTD131x SoC-based model as they are MStar C2 SoC-based.

(FTR, their MStar C2 SoC is the source/cause of many of the app/OS misbehaviors/glitches/weirdness unique to these Streambar models, as Roku hasn't (and cant in some cases) optimized RokuOS builds uniquely enough for them).

So, ultimately you (Streambar users) need to contact YTTV CS and emphasize that the wrong YT/YTTV versions/builds (intended for different models with RTD131x SoCs) was allowed/linked to the OS13 upgrade for these models, and Google needs to roll these back and/or republish with YT/YTTV app versions/builds specifically suited for them (and their MStar C2 SoCs).

(Side Note:  Google also published updated YT/YTTV app versions/builds for the 480x with OS13 - these exhibited identical broken trickplay/etc behavior, and were rolled back within hours when informed of the broken behavior:  the previous working (rollback) versions are actually the same YT/YTTV versions that are currently "broken" for the 9101/9102 on OS13).

AJ_42
Binge Watcher

Please everyone SignIn/SignUp for Reddit and go here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtubetv/comments/1ck3ob1/problems_with_yttv_dvr_ff_and_rewind_2024/

Please UPVOTE the response from AJ42 (which may require you to “Load more comments”)

JimInSRQ
Channel Surfer

Report sent YTTV!

Copied the full description into the feedback option found under the account settings while logged into YTTV on computer.

0 Kudos
AJ_42
Binge Watcher

Initial response from YTTV is that Mstar C2 devices are no longer supported. I have pushed back for confirmation. Others please contact YoutubeTV on this issue, either by upvoting my Reddit post (see previous post) or directly and provide any details concerning any response as a subsequent comment on this thread. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.