Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Voice Command Issue and Remote Restart Instructions

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We are aware of an issue where sometimes voice commands are not registered (both when pressing the Microphone/Search button or using "Hey Roku" commands).

We recommend restarting the remote to resolve this issue.

Follow these steps to reboot your remote:

• If your rechargeable voice remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button on the back of the remote for 20 seconds.
  • If your rechargeable voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back and Home buttons for 20 seconds.

When the status light stops flashing, your rechargeable voice remote has successfully rebooted.

For detailed instructions, refer to How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working | Official Roku Support.

This should resolve the issue you are experiencing. If the problem persists, please reply, and we will assist you further.

Best regards,
Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Voice Remote Pro 2nd Edition voice control

Jump to solution

Hi @krysbeal,

Welcome, and thank you for posting!

We understand that you're having issues with the Roku Voice Remote Pro 2nd Edition voice control. Rest assured, our team is currently aware of the issue.

Could you please confirm if the issue happens when pressing the voice command button or the hands-free button? What Roku remote model are you currently using?

In the meantime, we would highly suggest these steps to reboot your remote:

• If your rechargeable voice remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button on the back of the remote for 20 seconds.
  • If your rechargeable voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back and Home buttons for 20 seconds.

When the status light stops flashing, your rechargeable voice remote has successfully rebooted. For more information, refer to this support article: How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working | Official Roku Support.

Keep us updated with your findings.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Creynolds77
Channel Surfer

Roku Voice Remote Pro 2nd Edition voice control

Jump to solution

I just got one and it's been nothing but trouble. 

The voice remote switch in the on position will show as off on the TV when I check, and vice versa. 

When I set it to on, and I hear the chime and the TV says it's on, it won't reply to any hey Roku sayings at all. Zero.

Eventually it will notify me on screen that voice control is turned off. 

For the short amount of time after repairing /pairing (I've tried doing it a few times to fix) it will however let me press the mic button down and initiate a command, like find my remote (pointless since it only works when I press the button ).

Brand new. From Amazon today. I've rebooted my TV, router, tried to pair it a few times, removed it from menu via the 4 digit code, everything.

It just doesn't want to work. At least, the auto voice commands. 

Even during pairing when you have to check the box a few times, it would turn off voice pairing (when the remote had the switch in the on (green) position) while I wasn't even touching the remote.. and the TV would chime to let me know as well.

So the voice control just doesn't work. The switch to turn it off and on doesn't work, and when it does, does the opposite of what you switch it to( turn it on, the TV will pop up a notification saying it's off, vice versa). Doing this a few times and eventually the remote won't respond to the switch at all until a re-pairing 

I'm a pretty tech savvy guy but this thing just doesn't want to work, and has a mind of it's own because it will turn off features by itself. And let me know it did it when there was zero interaction with it.

I updated the remote out of the box. It did this auto. 

Firmware version rtn.4262

Voice capture fw en_US, 0024

Please help or this thing is gonna go back to Amazon or in the trash. 

TCL 6 series TV running Roku (built into the TV)

It's the new backlit rechargable v2 pro voice remote. All previous Roku branded remotes worked flawless, and when I held down the voice button on those it worked as well.

0 Kudos
Creynolds77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Another odd thing I noticed...

When I pick the remote up.. theres like about 2-3 seconds of "lag". What I mean is that when I pick it up, it won't light up immediately or take any inputs (like volume or channel). Once the lights glow, it'll accept whatever button inputs I make (except of course voice commands). 

Also, Everytime I pick it up.. after the 3 second lag and the lights glow etc.. it'll pop up the battery level on the TV. My other Roku remotes only showed battery level when it was low, or after pairing.

So it seems like every time I pick up this remote, the 3 second lag before the lights come on and it's usable.. it's registering itself with the tv. At least that's how it seems as why would it shown the battery level each time I pick it up.

I enjoy my TCL Roku tvs (I have a few) and my TCL sound bars and remotes ive purchased in the past. I couldn't be happier.

That said, this is easily the worst Roku product I've used. It doesn't do any of the things it says it will well. It has input lag, the voice control is non functional, and I feel like it needs a serious firmware update because in it's current state, it's worse than the tvs stock remote.

I just wanted a remote that was rechargable, had backlit buttons, and had a find my remote feature. Everything else this remote is supposed to do was a bonus.

But the only thing that works is it's rechargeability. Unfortunately I won't be recharging it much since until they fix it (if they do) I'm not gonna use it. And by waiting for a fix I'll exceed my return window. 

So, it'll prolly just be $35 bucks wasted and trash. I've honestly had better "fake" Roku remotes ive bought for my kids Roku tvs as they destroy or lose remotes, and Im just gonna go back to the stock remote since this one doesn't work and I haven't found any fix or support to fix it on Reddit or these forums. 

Sorry for the rant but this is extremely disappointing. Without a doubt I'm leaving a review of this horrible remote on Amazon so other folks don't waste their money. 

RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi there @Creynolds77!

Can we get a replacement remote out to you? We suspect you may have a faulty unit and we'd love to take a look. The issues you're describing aren't normal and we want to investigate. I'll send you a PM directly, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Creynolds77 One other quick ask is to try to restart your remote. To restart, hold the back and home button for 20 full seconds. 

I've sent you an email to follow-up directly. Please check your inbox. 

Thank you!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
Creynolds77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sure or email me.

I'll check my dms and reply as needed.

0 Kudos
Creynolds77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yeah I've done that as well ( found that trick online when I was searching for help and fixes).

Didn't work. Like just now I got home and I can flip the voice switch back and forth and nothing happens. Doesn't turn it on or off, no TV notifications about it turning on or off, nothing.

And it still does the lag. I turned on my TV when I got home. Just change the channel and I'll pick it up, about 2-3 seconds after that it will light up and it will show the battery level on the TV, then accept button inputs 

If say a few minutes later I pick it up to change the channel again, it does the same thing, flashes the battery level on screen, etc.

It just is very abnormal. Plus the voice switch on the side doesn't do -anything-. 

I'm just at a loss here honestly. Ive reset router, TV, remote, repaired several times, done the 20 second reset, you name.it. 

So for now I've just gone back to my stock Roku remote that came with the tv. 

0 Kudos
Creynolds77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I looked for your pm and I don't see anything. I'll check back I guess but I see nothing in my inbox or notifications. 

0 Kudos
Creynolds77
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

UPDATE

First off I just want to thank Team Roku and Austin for contacting me personally to resolve my remote issues.

Initially they were going to send a label, id drop my remote with issues into the mail and get a new one back. A solution I was ok with and I hoped maybe their tech department could see what I experienced.

Yesterday a package showed up in my mailbox, and it was a brand new remote!

Initiated a pair with my TV, it auto updated, and boom! It works absolutely like I expected and does everything it says it can. Voice works, recharge, light on wake, you name it.

This is the remote I wanted and it delivers. I know sometimes you get a failure rate and I was the winner of that lottery, but I just wanted to update and say thank you for fixing the issue with a new remote. 

I couldn't be happier with it.

Funny thing is even tho I unpaired and "forgot" the remote that doesn't work correctly in the pairing menu, it still is being weird. I have it in it's box in the bag it came in and every now and then I'll see a "remote battery" icon pop up on my TV from the remote.

Also I can send the faulty one back? If you guys don't care or this is problem resolved and we're done.. that's fine too. I'm just going to toss it out as I have a working one now.

Again, thanks for your help and this is an amazing community I've learned. I've always liked Roku stuff because for me, it just works and it's not insanely overpriced like every other brand out there. 

Hope this remote comes with some Roku tvs in the future as it really is the best remote Roku has brought to market thus far.

@RokuAustin 

Please also tell Nick B thanks for the remote as well and your team for great work

krysbeal
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.