Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScotMac
Channel Surfer

Re: ESPN App Issues - ESPN 3 connection error on replays (Internet Provider Authentication)

Jump to solution

I was having the same issue. I spoke with someone on a Roku chat and they suggested that I reset the network. I followed their instructions and I have been able to watch on demand events on the ESPN app successfully since then.

1) Home -> Settings -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Network Connection Reset.

0 Kudos
Asellus
Streaming Star

Re: ESPN App Issues - ESPN 3 connection error on replays (Internet Provider Authentication)

Jump to solution

I had already reset my network connection through settings on the Roku device before starting this post, and I rebooted my modem and router. Can you clarify what they told you to do exactly? Should I unplug my modem and router and replug it, hoping that will reset my connection?

Thanks! 🙂

0 Kudos
ScotMac
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

1) Home -> Settings -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Network Connection Reset.

It will automatically restart the device and then you will have to reestablish the network connection.

0 Kudos
Asellus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks for trying to help out. That was what I did before, and I tried it again at your suggestion. There have been no changes to my connection error situation.

0 Kudos
ScotMac
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sorry it didn’t work for you. He also suggested the following:

2) Please connect your Roku to your mobile hotspot network. If you do not have the same, you can connect it to your home wifi. (Mobile hotspot is a vital troubleshooting step in resolving any issue).

I tried it and didn’t notice any change with my device, but perhaps it might work for someone else. At the same time, I’m not sure what the follow up would be. I would not want to have to keep my device connected to a hotspot permanently. Someone else might know what he was driving at.

0 Kudos
Asellus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I don't have access to a mobile hotspot, so this option won't work for me. He probably was just trying to see if it was your home internet provider that was the culprit.

I did unplug my modem and router, and also restarted it again just to make sure again. No changes. At this point, I think I will just go back to watching what tennis I can today live on ESPN3 and leave it in the hands of Roku in my case. I could make many suppositions of possible reasons why this is happening, but many other people have the same problems and have different setups, so it wouldn't be fruitful for me to spend any more time on this. I hope that I can go back to watching ESPN3 replay events on Roku next week sometime, but waiting is all I can do. I am glad that there was a fix for you.

Have a good weekend! 🙂

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, Community users.

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know about the issue you have encountered with the ESPN app on your Roku device.

Kindly be informed that we have passed along your information with our team, and this will be worked on for a resoluion.

We hope for your patience and understanding as we work on this.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
iplay10us2
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

If you only checked On Demand for ESPN+, it will work.  Check On Demand for ESPN3 and ESPN2 to see if you get the error message.

0 Kudos
Draggio
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, espn2 getting the error message too

0 Kudos
Asellus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

So I decided to factory reset my Roku, and when I went back into the ESPN app and clicked on an ESPN3 replay, it worked. However, I went out of the replay and clicked back into it from Continue Watching, and it gave me a bad gateway 502 error. From there it kicked me out of the app. After I went back in, it went back to giving me the Connection Error message.

Don't know if this will help or not, but thought I'd add it to the information. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.