Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisjdel
Reel Rookie

YouTube app rapidly times out and quits when video paused

What genius thought this change was a good idea? You put a video on pause for two minutes and come back to the Roku main menu. I can't find an option to set the timeout for a longer period, or disable it entirely. Not only do you lose your place but you may have a hard time finding that video again if you navigated to it through links from other videos. Is there a setting I missed? If not, Roku needs to undo this poorly thought out update. You expect to be able to put something on pause for a while and not have the app automatically exit.

Labels (2)
17 REPLIES 17
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: YouTube app rapidly times out and quits when video paused

I just paused a video for a good 20 minutes.  My screensaver activated after its setting of 5 minutes and when I dismissed it I was right back where I left off.  After its obligatory ads (I don't know how people watch Youtube), the video resumed.

Does it really happen after only 2 minutes?  What's the setting for your screensaver start time?  Does it only happen in Youtube?  What if you pause the Getting Started video or a video in another channel/app?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
chrisjdel
Reel Rookie

It only happens on YouTube. The problem began a few days ago just after an update that changed a few minor things about the interface - the most noticeable being that prior searches appear horizontally along the top rather than vertically on the left like they did before. Powering off and restarting the unit didn't fix the issue.

My screensaver is set to engage after ten minutes. But a paused YouTube video bails out in just two or three minutes to the main screen. If you hit the back button to halt playback and return to the previous menu, then leave it there instead of on a video paused mid-play, it will not exit automatically even after the screensaver kicks on.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Hmm... exiting to the Home Screen is usually an indication of a channel/app crashing.  Since it's only happening in Youtube, try the usual remove/restart/add routine:

Highlight it on the Home Screen and press * on your Roku remote and choose "Remove channel".  Then restart your device from Settings->System or Settings->System->Power, as appropriate.  Add the channel again.  Don't skip the restart step or do the steps in any other order.

What version of the Youtube channel/app do you have?  Highlight the icon on the Home Screen and press * and the version should be displayed.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
chrisjdel
Reel Rookie

It worked. Handy tip for an app that stops working properly, thank you.

0 Kudos
944play
Channel Surfer

I am having the same YouTube-crashing-while-paused issue.  It happens after five minutes paused every time.  Deleting the app, restarting the Roku, and reinstalling did not resolve it.

YT version is 2.23 build 115025125

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @944play,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

It seems like you're doing a great job troubleshooting the issue on your YouTube channel. No worries; help is here. Please try to update the channel by highlighting the channel tile, pressing the star button on your Roku remote, and selecting check for updates.

If the problem still persists, please let us know.

All the best,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
944play
Channel Surfer

"'YouTube' is up to date."

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @944play,

Thanks for the update!

Is this issue isolated to this channel, or does it happen to the rest of the channels on the platform? If so, we would also suggest getting in touch with the channel support team and seeing what they can suggest about this. Most of the channels on Roku are managed and updated directly by the channel provider themselves. You can contact them here: YouTube Contact Us.

Just get back here if they weren't able to resolve it and supply us with the details that are listed below:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About) mobile device brand, model, and OS
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

We'll be looking forward to your updates. Thanks!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
944play
Channel Surfer

I only watch YouTube on this device, but I did try out "Roku Channel" and it had no problem pausing video.

I have submitted a bug report to YT.

Certainly what I'm experiencing is indicative of a PEBKAC error, but it is new and unexpected behavior.

0 Kudos