Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timo59
Channel Surfer

Women's VOICE on my Roku, HOW do I get it OFF!

Jump to solution

HI, I have a subscription to Roku, but my Brother does not, BUT he has Roku TV,,, there is a lady's VOICE on MY that tells me EVETHING that I do and where I am going,,, my Brother does NOT have this VOICE!!! HOW DO I GET THE VOICE TURNED "OFF"!!! 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Women's VOICE on my Roku, HOW do I get it OFF!

Jump to solution

Voice announcement of Roku menus, button presses, etc.
A feature called Screen Reader (renamed from Audio Guide in Roku version 10.5) announces where you are in the Roku menus for the benefit of the visually impaired. At some point you may have hit the * key on your Roku remote four times in a short period of time. This is a shortcut that toggles the Screen Reader / Audio Guide feature on and off, so four quick presses of the * key should toggle this feature back off.

To deactivate the four-* trigger shortcut altogether use menu path Settings > Accessibility > Shortcut (in the Screen Reader or Audio Guide section) > Disabled

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Timo59,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We apologize for any inconvenience caused, and we understand your query that you'll want to turn off or disable the screen reader feature. In addition, as @makaiguy responded, for more information and to explain further about this feature, you can refer here: How to enable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku streaming device.

We hope it helps. If you have any other concerns or questions, please let us know.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Voice announcement of Roku menus, button presses, etc.
A feature called Screen Reader (renamed from Audio Guide in Roku version 10.5) announces where you are in the Roku menus for the benefit of the visually impaired. At some point you may have hit the * key on your Roku remote four times in a short period of time. This is a shortcut that toggles the Screen Reader / Audio Guide feature on and off, so four quick presses of the * key should toggle this feature back off.

To deactivate the four-* trigger shortcut altogether use menu path Settings > Accessibility > Shortcut (in the Screen Reader or Audio Guide section) > Disabled

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Timo59,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We apologize for any inconvenience caused, and we understand your query that you'll want to turn off or disable the screen reader feature. In addition, as @makaiguy responded, for more information and to explain further about this feature, you can refer here: How to enable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku streaming device.

We hope it helps. If you have any other concerns or questions, please let us know.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator