Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jarbarian
Channel Surfer

Why can't we get a simple feature added?

I literally HATE the Roku device light being on incessantly.  I want it turned off FOREVER, but there's no option to do that.  I have only two options.

1. Dark tape over the light.

2. Buy another streaming device.

Roku team, I mean, seriously. How hard is it for you to just put a check box in the settings to say turn light on/off forever?!

I am light sensitive at night, so this light being on constantly makes it hard for me to sleep.  I shouldn't have to tape over the light or unplug the device just so I can sleep.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Why can't we get a simple feature added?

The LED on my Roku Express 4K+ (3941) is OFF when I'm not using it. I've never had a 4230 (shown in your equipment list) so I can't say anything about that one. It wouldn't surprise me if the implementation of the LED changes with various chipsets Roku has used over the years. On some platforms they may have software control of it, on others, perhaps not. So, I think a piece of tape is surely the quicker answer to getting some sleep.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
jarbarian
Channel Surfer

Actually now that I look at it, the model is 4802R.
Still, when I shut the Roku off, that LED stays on.

ANNOYING!!!!

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

You might want to look at Settings -> System -> Power -> Auto power savings

If it's off, see if you like it better when it's on. (That is to say, that turning that setting on may cause the LED to go off after 20 minutes of inactivity.)

Hmm, I just pressed the HOME key on my remote (The TV is Off), and the result was interesting: The LED was off. When the button was pressed, the LED flashed rapidly in response. And then it immediately turned right back off. This reinforces the impression that I've had before that on my 3941, not only does the Roku have to be on and awake, but the TV has to be on and set to the Roku input in order for that LED to be on.

I don't know exactly how the state of the TV is signaled to the Roku, (some HDMI/HDMI-CEC magic I suppose) but it might be an interesting experiment to set your TV to some other input and see if that has any effect.

Banned but back. Because why not?
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.