Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DisastifiedAL
Roku Guru

Why am I required to stay connected to hide home screen settings?

I was having issues removing "Categories" and "Browse" with the food tiles, Couldn't hide them even though the settings shown as "✓ HIDE" and figured out it would only hide when I was currently WiFi/Wired connected? Why are my specific TV settings tied to a constantly having a connection with Roku account now?  It used to not be that way when I purchased the TCL TV.  I would like an answer how to make my settings my own regardless if connected or not?

TCL Roku TV
Software 12.5.0 build 4176-30

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Why am I required to stay connected to hide home screen settings?

Hi @DisastifiedAL,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!
We will be more than happy to answer your inquiry. Please be advised that some TVs powered by Roku OS require an internet connection to complete setup. This will allow the latest software updates to be delivered to your TV to provide you with the best smart TV experience by ensuring you have the latest features, programming, and fixes.

If you need anything else, please keep us posted.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DisastifiedAL
Roku Guru

I'm not talking about setup, Why am I required to stay connected to "hide" home screen settings?
If i am connected, "Browse" and "categories" are hidden, But if I disconnect the network, They reappear. When I bought this TV it was not like that, This was created by the most recent update. 12.5.0 build 4176-30 or perhaps prior update and rolled into the latest. 

I would appreciate Roku being forthwith and showing transparency and honesty. Thank You

This is not solved, Please don't mark so.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @DisastifiedAL 

Thanks for keeping us posted.

May we know if this issue only occurs with the hidden "Browse and "Categories" sections, and are other settings affected? Also, have you tried performing a system restart to see if you're able to see any improvements?

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DisastifiedAL
Roku Guru

only the new "Browse and Categories" section. If I disconnect my network it shows, if connect it hides as set in settings. I have nothing on home screen but new input button that then lets you choose your TV input "going from one click to two" with last update and Antenna/live tv button, I removed all apps. so nothing to interfere with those buttons but themselves. I had my roku unconnected over past when the Roku and Youtube TV got in a contract battle and put consumers in the middle of it.  I was forced to update when I connected other day and it added that unneeded nor wanted junk. All about revenue and ads I know.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @DisastifiedAL,

Thank you for keeping us informed here in the Roku Community!
We appreciate your patience and understanding with this issue that you're experiencing. You can customize your features by navigating to Settings > Home Screen > Recommendation Rows.

We hope this helps.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.