Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C_I
Roku Guru

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

@Pungh0Li0 wrote:

Danny, just run the CBS News app. Happens every time... and they seem to return after every ad if you turn them off.

Then go to the settings menu on the CBS News app and turn th e closed captioni8ng off. 

0 Kudos
Pungh0Li0
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@C_I wrote:

@Pungh0Li0 wrote:

Danny, just run the CBS News app. Happens every time... and they seem to return after every ad if you turn them off.

Then go to the settings menu on the CBS News app and turn th e closed captioni8ng off. 

As I said.... they turn back on.

Hoosierferg
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

TV 1: SAMSUNG SMART TV, 2016

3930RW Roku XPress

Serial No.: X00400FECU9M

Device ID: S009204ECU9M

Software version: 9.4.0 build 4200-AE

Channels which came on repeatedly with captions:

CBSN: version 5.4 build 16

AXS: version 1.2, build 9

Report tracker:

CBSN — issue ID, 9M-081-116

AXS — issue ID, 9M-081-121

Activity log:

Open CBSN app, captions on, left them on in app, exit app.

Open Roku settings, caps “always on, did not turn off

Open Netflix app, captions on (cannot turn off in Netflix w/Roku * button, not an option), Exit. (NOT CERTAIN notes are accurate on Netflix here because I could not subsequently replicate Netflix showing Roku style captions)

Open Sling, captions on on multiple channels (Sling does not have option to turn off captions with * button or in Sling’s settings (which are only display options, ie text styles, background and text colors and opacity). Exit Sling.

Open CBSN app, captions are on, don’t turn off, exit.

Open Netflix, tried two shows and captions did not come on. Exit app.

Roku settings, captions still on “always on” even though they had not showed up on Netflix in previous attempt.

PBS came on with captions and has the option on the asterisk to turn off. (I would have thought I would have turned off captions before this attempt, but notes did not reflect it and I could not replicate PBS having captions again after turning them off in Roku settings)

Returned to Roku settings, captions on, turned captions off.

Return to PBS app, captions not on.

Open ABC news, no captions.

Enter Paramount app, no captions.

Enter AMC app, no captions.

Enter Filmrise app, no captions.

Enter AXS app, captions on (has option to turn off in left-hand foldout pane after hitting Roku remote * button), but I did not turn off.

Back to Roku home, settings, captions “always on”, turn captions off.

Open Bloomberg app, no captions (but * button opens panel with ability to turn captions on and off).

Open Haystack News app, no captions (* button doesn’t do anything in this app)

Open CW app, no captions (* button doesn’t do anything in this app)

Open AXS, captions on

Return to Roku, turned off

Tried PBS again weren’t on

Open AXS again, captions on.

NOTE: Only apps that had captions on every time after turning off in Roku settings were CBSN and AXS. Tried to go back and check again on Netflix and PBS but was unable to replicate them turning on after turning off captions “always on” in the Roku settings.

TV 2: SONY ANALOG TV, 2010

3910-RW Roku Xpress+

Serial No.: YG009K477207

Device ID: C53959477207

Software version: 9.4.0 build 4200-51

Channels which came on repeatedly with captions:

CBSN: version 5.4 build 16

AXS: version 1.2, build 9

Report tracker:

CBSN — issue ID, 07-081-128

AXS — issue ID, 9M-081-121

Activity log:

Roku settings, captions "always off"

Open CBSN app, captions always come on. Roku remote * button reveals left-hand foldout pane, and always shows Captions “always on”, Switch to always off, exit app.

Back to Roku settings, captions are off.

Turn on CBSN, captions are again “always on.” Don’t turn off in CBSN. Exit.

Return to Roku settings and they are checked “always on.”

Open Sling, and captions are on every channel. Exit Sling.

Open Roku settings, turn captions “always off”

Open Sling, captions not on.

Open Netflix, captions not on

Open Showtime, captions not on

HBO, captions not on

Open CBSN, captions on, didn’t turn off there or in Roku settings.

Open HBO, captions are on, did not turn off.

Open PBS, captions on

Roku settings, captions off.

Open PBS, captions off.

Roku settings, confirm captions off.

Open AXS, captions on

NOTE: Only channels in which captions were consistently on after turning them off in Roku settings, were CBSN and AXS.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Hoosierferg

Thanks for the post and provide us with your information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
WhyCC

Jump to solution

ROKU fix this! Very annoying!

RocPicCom
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The first post on this problems was in March of 2020 - now that this problem has resurfaced, how can a company with as much MONEY as ROKU take so long to pass along a problem THIS BIG.  WOW.  Further investigate? My TV's are annoying, annoying, annoying, multiple times a day.

0 Kudos
GregLakes
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have 3 TCL Roku TVs bought at various times: 2 - 50" and 1 - 40". Problem exists on all 3 so really no need to give out specs on each one. Reproduce the problem by checking CBSN, where I have the problem — everytime I go to CBSN on any of the TVs it turns the subs on across all channels unless I turn them off each time in CBSN. Should be simple for you to reproduce.

tworocks
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

ROKU, hire at least one software engineer who knows how to write tests. What else is not being tested?  

d4d4
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku is doing the same thing!  It only started occurring a few months ago.  I even bought a new device, thinking something went wrong w my old one.  I have NEVER asked for Closed Captioning on any channel.  Every time I use ROKU, I have to go to Accessibility > Captions > OFF.  I have never been successful with CBS News - the rest of my channels are fine now.  Does that mean this is a function of the CBS link?  Thank you

0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Then remove and reinstall the channel. If necessary, check your closed capt5ioning settings on your accessibility settings and change it to always off. 

0 Kudos