Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
countrylizzard
Binge Watcher

Software says it updated but its the same software version and the same build number

Jump to solution

I just got a new roku tv and it says it updated but it still says the same build. Shouldnt it be a different build? I even did a manual update and it did in fact update to 100% but the software still says the same thing, 12.50 with the same build 5159 that doesnt make sense when it did in fact update. I even noticed new features it gave me on the home page. So I was like this is cool it updated but the build was still the same. How did that happen? Ive reset everything and unplugged it etc and its all the same it didnt change the build number. I know that it did update to 13 because other tv updated and has all the new features this tv does too, but it just still says its 12.5.0 when it should say its version 13.I talked to roku and they said it might be a glitch but I wonder how they will fix it. In the beginning when I bought the tv I kept wondering when Id get the new update well looks like I got the update but it just doesn't show the proper software version number. Must be a glitch but they'll prob never fix it

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Software says it updated but its the same software version and the same build number

Jump to solution

Hi there!

Some Roku home screen features aren't tied to a software update but checking for an update may prompt these features to show themselves. There are a few background processes that update without the OS version changing.

Some Roku TVs saw OS 13 and then based on performance, we may have pulled certain Roku TV platforms back to OS 12.5.5. Once OS 13 is ready for those platforms, it will be re-released.

Your device checks in every 24 hours for a new update, so no need to check regularly. Once available, the update will automatically install to your Roku TV. We don't have a timeline of when all platforms will receive OS 13. 

I hope that information is helpful!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Software says it updated but its the same software version and the same build number

Jump to solution

@RokuAustinIs there some issue that would prevent our TVs from updating at all?

Nope, all Roku TVs will eventually get the update but at different schedules. We will typically roll big updates slowly out over 1-3 months. Roku OS 13 has not yet fully rolled out. 

There is a rare instance where a few people have worked with Customer Support and they have rolled your TV or player software backwards. This is known as downgrading, but Customer Support will explicitly mention it, and usually, it's the second or third time you've reached out about a specific issue, never on a first call, this is a fairly escalated process. In some cases, the downgrade will lock your software and we have to remove your device ID from the downgrade list to get the next update. This is the only time where a customer won't receive an update after the full rollout has happened. So rest assured, unless you've battled a very tricky issue with customer support, your TV will get its update when it's supposed to. 

Happy Streaming!

RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@countrylizzard wrote:

I ended up having to manually update it today. It finally worked. It updated to 13.0.0 version 24062. Apparently the other tv updated on its own yesterday with the same version. Its weird my new tv didnt update on its own. I had to MANUALLY do it on my own. Oh well either way it worked. 

It probably would have happened tomorrow! All device check in every 24 hours for an upgrade, but that 24 hours is random 🙂

Happy Streaming!

13 REPLIES 13
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi there!

Some Roku home screen features aren't tied to a software update but checking for an update may prompt these features to show themselves. There are a few background processes that update without the OS version changing.

Some Roku TVs saw OS 13 and then based on performance, we may have pulled certain Roku TV platforms back to OS 12.5.5. Once OS 13 is ready for those platforms, it will be re-released.

Your device checks in every 24 hours for a new update, so no need to check regularly. Once available, the update will automatically install to your Roku TV. We don't have a timeline of when all platforms will receive OS 13. 

I hope that information is helpful!

Happy Streaming!

countrylizzard
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

That makes sense, because my other tv in the living room is from 2020 and it got the same update mine did today and on that tv in the living room it says os 13 build. I always knew my new tv was odd because when I bought it the software updated to 12.5.0 whereas my tv in the living room had 12.5.5 I did manually update it this morning and it updated itself just still said 12.5.0 so that makes sense what youre saying if they pulled it or something. I bought my new tv in april 2024 but I googled it was made or came out aug 2023. I have never been able to get 12.5.5 on the new tv it only updated to 12.5.0

0 Kudos
agottschling
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm running into this same issue. @countrylizzard Who makes your TV that won't update out of curiousity?

countrylizzard
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My new tv is hisense which is the same as my old tv. This new tv was made in aug. 2023 but I bought it in april 2024. One day itll update with the new software 

0 Kudos
countrylizzard
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I ended up having to manually update it today. It finally worked. It updated to 13.0.0 version 24062. Apparently the other tv updated on its own yesterday with the same version. Its weird my new tv didnt update on its own. I had to MANUALLY do it on my own. Oh well either way it worked. 

0 Kudos
agottschling
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

When you say manually, how do you mean? Using recovery mode? Or by going into settings and making the tv check for updates

countrylizzard
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Settings, check for updates. It worked. I know they had pulled the other version awhile ago but the new version 13.0.0 worked. It just sucked I had to manually update it instead of it updating on its own. The other tv updated on its own. Both same model. One is from 2020 the other one is 2023 but I bought it in 2024. The 2023 tv I had to manually update whereas the 2020 updated on its own  

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Nope, all Roku TVs will eventually get the update but at different schedules. We will typically roll big updates slowly out over 1-3 months. Roku OS 13 has not yet fully rolled out. 

There is a rare instance where a few people have worked with Customer Support and they have rolled your TV or player software backwards. This is known as downgrading, but Customer Support will explicitly mention it, and usually, it's the second or third time you've reached out about a specific issue, never on a first call, this is a fairly escalated process. In some cases, the downgrade will lock your software and we have to remove your device ID from the downgrade list to get the next update. This is the only time where a customer won't receive an update after the full rollout has happened. So rest assured, unless you've battled a very tricky issue with customer support, your TV will get its update when it's supposed to. 

Happy Streaming!

RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@countrylizzard wrote:

It probably would have happened tomorrow! All device check in every 24 hours for an upgrade, but that 24 hours is random 🙂

Happy Streaming!

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.