Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Screen reader won't disable

Jump to solution

@kayleetaylor84

Thanks for the post.

During playback, have you tried pressing the * button and seeing what settings are selected for Accessibility & captions > Screen reader?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kayleetaylor84
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I’ve done that exact thing, multiple times. The app is updated as well. It’s only on that tv and it started a month ago. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @kayleetaylor84,

Thanks for the follow-up.

This may be through the channel settings or on the content itself. Try to pause the content you are streaming, then change the language. If the issue still persists, we suggest you contact the channel directly for feedback and assistance.

You may also refer to this link to see more tips and troubleshooting steps for this type of issue here: How to enable text-to-speech using Audio Guide | Official Roku Support

Keep us posted with what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

RWAShley49

Jump to solution

I've been having this problem since I replaced our Roku with a new one a couple of weeks ago. The screen says the Screen Reader is "off", but I can't get it to be silent. My last attempt was to reset and reinstall the Roku.

Please help, the Screen Reader is annoying!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@RWAShley49

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried pressing the * button four times to see if that helps resolve the issue you are experiencing?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kayleetaylor84
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have done every single thing mentioned in these comments. Nothing has worked. HBO max didn’t have any more ideas.  

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @kayleetaylor84

We're here to help!

Could you tell us more about the issue you're running into? Does it happen within a specific channel or regardless of the app your launch on your device? Is it also occurring from your Roku home screen?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
hgratp

Jump to solution

I have the solution, it is indeed a setting within the HBO Max app. In the Accesibility language setting there are multiple 'English' options. One of the them includes a 'Descriptive' feature that narrates all actions while there is no one talking on screen.

Instead, select the English option that does not include the 'Descriptive' feature.

See pitures below:

English w/o Descriptive settingEnglish w/o Descriptive setting

English w/ Descriptive setting ONEnglish w/ Descriptive setting ON

Hope this helps!

TVandeBerg
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

In settings, my screen reader is disabled, and the shortcut is also disabled.  When using antenna, we still hear the screen reader.  This is happening with BOTH of our Roku TVs - but is NOT happening with our Visio and Roku stick.  I do not see anything in the antenna settings to shut this off.

0 Kudos
Rjs18654

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same problems with my Roku TV on HBO Max. It’s not even all of the movies. But it happened before and I reset the audio through settings but now it’s happening again and I cannot stop it I have tried everything that has been said on the two pages of things that it says to do it will not stop

0 Kudos