Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwalant4679
Reel Rookie

Roku support for 21:9 ultrawide monitors

Roku UltraHD does not seem to recognize 3440x1440 (21:9 aspect ratio) ultrawide monitors. The only option is to set it up as 16:9 aspect ratio 1920x1080 resolution. I would expect full display area to be utilized when viewing ultrawide movie content. Instead the movie is only seen in a smaller 2560*1080 window - leaving around 44% of display area black with letterboxing and pillarboxing. This is definitely a good user experience. When will Roku fix this?   

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku support for 21:9 ultrawide monitors

My guess is when TVs come out with that aspect ratio.  Roku support for monitors has always been lacking.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
jwalant4679
Reel Rookie

Is there a list of supported 21:9 TV devices or projectors available?

Matt38

I also want 21:9 ultrawide support.

andyross
Roku Guru

Until ultra-wide TV's become common, or people dump TV's and start using monitors, it is unlikely to be supported. It may even be a limitation of the Realtek chipsets Roku uses in their devices.

0 Kudos
Extraneu
Reel Rookie

Not supporting this almost ridiculous, considering how dull is Roku's UI. But actually seems to be in maintenance mode since forever; I don't remember any new feature or even bugfix in the last few years.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

As has been stated: Roku's are designed for TV's, not monitors. I doubt few, if any, streaming services support anything more than 16:9. The chipsets Roku uses probably do not support it. Roku does add features, not that everyone is happy about some of them like Continue Watching on the home screen and similar.

If you want oddball or cutting edge features, be prepared to pay $$$ for something more premium.

I ask for anyone reading this: Does any service have ultrawide support? (Maybe some YouTube videos?) Do any streaming devices support it? Does Fire TV, or Apple TV support it?

0 Kudos
Extraneu
Reel Rookie

Thank you, I've read that. But if more people don't complain Roku won't fix that. Weirdly enough I had a FireStick a long time ago that I could swear it worked on a ultrawide monitor. Now searching the forums it seems it doesn't, or at least recent devices don't.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Roku uses stock chipsets, as do many others. It's the software around that chip that separates many of them. If the chipset (often RealTek) doesn't support ultrawide, then the devices can't support it. Most of these streaming devices are mass market devices, and oddball or cutting edge will not show up until there is enough out there to make it worth the extra $$ to add support.

Right now, about the only things that may support it is if they are basically PC's with video cards or computer chipsets that can support a wide range of resolutions.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

@Extraneu wrote:

I don't remember any new feature or even bugfix in the last few years.

If you’ve been around this forum lately, you should have seen several complaint threads regarding new features. 😀

On the other hand, I would say that, so far, requests for wide monitor support are quite rare.  More rare than, for example, requests for backlit remotes, gigabit ethernet, etc.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.