Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fladude
Streaming Star

Re: Roku disables players and TVs with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

Interestingly I recent received an email that starts off:

"On March 7, 2024, our security monitoring systems detected and alerted us to an increase in botnet activities that appeared to target Roku accounts."

Seems Like a System wide email.

So...    Their New TOS maybe aimed at blocking group class actions..limiting to individual action and arbitration.  Over past and future breach's like account breachs that could empty ones bank acct if use debit card or charge ones credit cards

What if you use debit card and say $1000 in roku boxes were bought etc  from roku...

Re: I do not agree to your terms of service.

Already filed a complaint with State AG.

My and my friends and family, many of which have a Roku TV, will not be purchasing one in the future.

Just because it is currently lawful to modify the terms of use after a purchase has been made, is by no means a justification to engage in such filthy business practices.

Whether their legal council received and processed my Opt-Out or not, I'll soon be selling or trashing my Roku Devices.

I very much support the creation of any consumer device that interferes with Roku's ad insertion plans. Waiting for a kickstarter.

Shame Roku. You deserve either going bankrupt or being bought-out in the next 3-5 years. You have cemented your status as a garbage company. I look forward to your market segment pivot, and will applaud a future exclusivity agreement to supply all the screens on future Boeing Aircraft. Y'all can crash and char together. Further, screw y'all for restricting speech- obviously _burn_ is restricted bc y'all don't want ppl talking about display artifacts. So trash.

I was not able to read the new terms of service due to a software bug. When trying to read the new terms of service, a timeout occurs before I can finish reading it. After the timeout, the entire process started over again. If I can't read the agreement, how could I possibly be able to have agreed to it?

I also object to the requirement to spend postage in order to opt out. Lets supposed that you have 81.6 million accounts. Assuming postage of .58 cents for a first class letter, the total cost for everyone to opt out would be:

Total Cost = Number of Accounts * Cost per Stamp
Total Cost = 81.6 million accounts * $0.58/account
Total Cost ≈ $47,328,000

The amount of paper that would be used would be:

Sheets Needed = 81.6 million accounts / 2 notices/page
Sheets Needed ≈ 40.8 million sheets

That is a lot paper that will be need to be recycled.

In addition, the carbon emissions (making the paper and delivering the letters) might be:

Total Emission Range (kg CO2) = Number of Letters * Emission Range (g CO2/letter) / 1000 (g/kg)
Total Emission Range (kg CO2) = 40.8 million letters * (20-50 g CO2/letter) / 1000 (g/kg)
Total Emission Range (kg CO2) ≈ 816 - 2040 kg CO2

Compare the environmental cost of everyone sending written opt-out notices to opt out via the Roku device or even on a website. Looks like Roku does not care about the environment.

Note: Gemini AI was used to estimate the costs of mailing letters vs electronic opt-out. The estimates could be off, but I still argue electronic opt-out does FAR less damage to the environment than mailing letter does.

TrashTV
Binge Watcher

That's exactly why they are doing that. They want a massive waste of resources and time. They actively discourage you from opting out. Because they don't want to get sued for millions because their accounts just keep getting hacked into. They wanna make this as laborious of a process as they possibly can. I was forced to factory reset my roku TV and put it in store mode ust so they would stop asking me too agree to their forced massed arbitration. Everyone knows they are infinitely easier ways to opt out of something. But they just wanted to do this just to screw with their customers.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@TrashTV Roku accounts were not "hacked". What happened was other sites were hacked, and because so many people use the same password at multiple sites the hackers used that stolen information to access Roku user accounts. But they could not "steal" anything from a Roku account, because even if a credit card is stored there the full information is not visible. The worst they could do is to change the account password and use the account to purchase services, which of course could only be done if there was a CC attached to the account. But they would still need to use a Roku to access those services, so really not a useful tactic for the thief. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TrashTV
Binge Watcher

Oh I am so sorry. It wasn't hacked. There was only thousand accounts breached my bad corpo shill, either way, they're forcing the mass arbitration because the accounts were hacked, it's ONLY A LITTLE MORE THAT HALF A MILLION 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Sheesh, grow up.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TrashTV
Binge Watcher

Sheesh, Kurt Cobain yourself roku lap dog. I think it's hilarious that you think taking it up the ass by corporations is being grown up, I guess when you do it for a living it comes as naturally as breathing for you.

madlax1624
Reel Rookie

The terms of agreement are quite lengthy about 50 pages or more maybe 72?  guesstimated.  Their is a way to read it.  Ask Roku to help you so it does not time out so you can read it entirely.

0 Kudos
xphileprof
Reel Rookie

Email Announcing Privacy Policy Update

I received an email informing me that Roku is updating its Privacy Policy. Unlike the many similar emails that I get from other companies, Roku's did not include a summary of the changes. Is that because they don't want us to know what's changing?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.