Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hakemon
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

Be sure to send it certified so they can't claim to have not received it.  I feel certifying it is going to be more important than just sending that silly archaic letter in 2024.

0 Kudos
mlewis49
Binge Watcher

For the time and expense of sending a letter, I can buy a Google streamer, which is what I did. 

0 Kudos
d0c5i5
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku disables players and TVs with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

I came back today and got this warning on my TV and was pissed I couldn't just make it go away. I didn't want to read it RIGHT THEN and I wanted to check something else. Since I had to read it just to see my own **bleep** TV I did, and did NOT want to agree to it. I think **bleep** like this is spineless and only done when companies know they are doing things that they could be sued for. I prefer the collective pressure to tell companies that if it means your going to get sued DONT DO IT.

but there literally was no option to say no, I couldn't even say NO (and i'll drop using all internet features roku provides)... it was ACCEPT THIS or NO ANYTHING for you (and we don't give a **bleep** how much you paid for this tv).

I found this article and instantly noticed how the title was even changed to be "pc".

whatever, I should have stopped buying roku when the pulled the rug out from under me with my roku 2/3 games.

0 Kudos
robinstl

Clearest message ever to not buy a RokuTV. Can't even watch OTA broadcasts unless you agree?

That makes my TV total junk.

What you have to love is NOW THAT I OWN THE DEVICE you decide to force me to agree to NEW rules on the use of the TV I already paid them money for and cannot use that ONE YEAR OLD TV unless I agree to some arbitrary rule changes they do to protect their own hide?

Anyone want a FREE ROKU TV?

0 Kudos

Below is the letter that I've mailed to Roku.  I didn't censor words in my actual letter, just here.  Feel free to use/edit as desired.

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is notification that I am choosing to exercise my right to opt-out of your stupid f*cking “requirement to arbitrate” as stated in your recent stupid f*cking “Roku Dispute Resolution Terms”.

Per your stupid f*cking instructions, this notice includes:

• the name of each person opting out and contact information for each such person”

• My name and contact info is listed above

• the specific product models, software, or services used that are at issue”

• Roku [X] and Roku [Y]

• the email address that you used to set up your Roku account”

• See above

• if applicable, a copy of your purchase receipt”

• Are you a f*cking moron? Why would I save a receipt for this purchase? Definitely not applicable

Please acknowledge receipt of this request by telegram. If you fail to respond by telegram, then you agree to send me $1,000,000. Reading to the end of the sentence confers your acceptance of these terms.

With no due respect,

[Signature]

Riskman
Channel Surfer

Quick queation for those in that field we cannot name here, I hurt myself getting the serial number off the back of the TV. As they could juat as easily have seen the devices registered in my account and this was completely unneeded, would I ha e grounds for pain and suffering?

0 Kudos
Hakemon
Channel Surfer

I don't think you can, because their you know who will ask why you didn't ask for help.  Merely thinking as such a person for a possible rebuttal that might arise.

Personally I don't think they are going to accept my letter anyway, I don't have the receipts for devices I purchased 4 years ago.  Who does?  Besides, after re-reading the agreement over and over again, it appears this actually went into play back in August and from that point in August we had only 30 days to send in our letters.

If anything, the notice that arrived 7 months late likely would however give us the fuel we need to fight back.  It's a highly unethical practice by companies such as this to try and take away our rights.

Either way, I am not the person you want to talk to, so be sure to please talk to yours.

0 Kudos
biodorkus

This smacks of what 23andMe tried to pull back in the fall; I wouldn't be surprised if we hear in a few weeks there was a data breach at Roku. 😡

DisastifiedAL
Roku Guru

I'm sending an opt out even though I never agreed, But not long ago when they added useless categories and other rows, I factory reset my tv and then blocked the roku on my router, I will NEVER get that "agree" notification, I use Google TV, Firestick and will connect a cheap roku box so if they want to void something, it will be a $30 box not my TV.

Doesn't work with me.

0 Kudos
JaZzLuVr

Re: I am publicly stating I was forced to "Agree" under duress!

I'm disappointed it has come to this but I too have dumped my Roku Ultra connected to an LG TV and disconnected my 75 inch TCL TV from the internet in order to by-pass its Roku OS, favoring a Chromecast instead. Corporate malpractice at it's worst! I had always been a booster too, for years.

0 Kudos