Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nunyabiz23

Re: Dispute Resolution Terms Blocking Access to TV Functionalities

I too was having the same problem with the agree to their Terms of Service or not he able to watch my tv. If you keep hitting the top left arrow button, the agree button will go away. Hopefully, this did not allow Roku to automatically update my actions to “Agree” to their bs Terms of Service. I have and will not be agreeing to this because I already know they have misused our data and they should stop it immediately! You know what they say…. When a product is free, you are the product being sold. 

joebios01
Streaming Star

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

@Maribeo60 

See: https://community.roku.com/t5/Community-discussions/Roku-disables-player-with-attempt-to-coerce-arbi...

To all the Press Home Key multiple times folks, you're likely activating the [not so] secret Roku Maintenance menus. You can Google 'Roku secret menus', etc. to find the key sequences.

My feeling is that 'continued use of the product constitutes (implicit) agreement'. That said, your best course of action is to send Roku their Opt-Out letter. See link above.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Pressing the Home key alone will not trigger any of the secret menus. It requires additional button presses using other buttons. You can press Home until the cows come home, but you won't trigger anything else. 🙂

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AJCxZ0
Streaming Star

@CraigsDaybook wrote:

I don't know what has happened to that fun company we called Roku that brought us so many cool things via streaming. I guess that company is gone.

The process I could not name or link with the name and referenced as "2023 Word of the Year", the name of which was coined by Cory Doctorow, very likely describes what we are seeing with Roku and many others. At the same time there is, and will continue to be for some time, significant changes in the streaming media business as they and the market evolve - currently in what looks a lot like the old (and expensive) "Cable TV" model; that is at least until newer, better ideas take off for connecting the consumers to the producers with fewer controlling and rent-seeking parties gate-keeping. 

Excuse me while I downvote myself for going off-topic.

My older Roku Ultra (5650RW) has not yet been disabled as of a few hours ago.

lr3
Channel Surfer

Congratulations Roku, you've now managed to PISS OFF ALL of your customers. I will be reporting this to the FTC, bricking our TV's with NO viable way to "OPT OUT".

joebios01
Streaming Star

0 Kudos

Captial one payed out $800

0 Kudos
Notv1
Reel Rookie

Re: Dispute terms resolution update

Someone suggested a reset (the button is located on back of the TV) but when the reset is done, you still have to agree to their terms in order to go forward so that doesn’t work if you are trying to opt out. Unfortunately I found out after the reset.

0 Kudos
sirlou
Binge Watcher

I have now gotten this Disabling Update on both of my Roku boxes.

First, I find the new Arbitration Agreement completely unconscionable and one-sided.

Second, the means to Opt-Out, which required snail mail and your receipt(!) - when "appropriate" (hopelessly vague) is unacceptable and anti-consumer, meant to make it hard to do, so folx can't or will not do it.

Third, BRICKING THE DEVICES (and TVs and APPs) with their digital lock (e.g., you CANNOT get past the pop-up at all) amounts, IMHO, to theft of property. If they want to brick it then they should pay full market costs I paid for the devices.

We should be allowed to opt-out online, in the pop-up; or at least be allowed to dismiss the pop-up and continue to use the device pending our writing an opt-out letter to them.

Cory Doctorow hit the nail on the head with his colourful metaphor re: the corporate overreach here at the end stage of Capitalism.

My boxes stop working every day, several times, because of the poor wifi receivers they use. Or perhaps its their software. Who knows. Point is they are *barely* usable as is...now they have broken them.

Pretty poor business model. I hope they get sued and their stock tanks and they go away forever.

Signed,

An Irate Customer

VicMat21

Re: Dispute terms resolution update

Same here!  I just went to the Roku app on my IPhone & brought up the remote within the app instead of using the actual Roku remote & it worked!!!! Pop up now gone & TV is fully functioning.