Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Roku disables players and TVs with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

The first linked article says that Roku has already forced password resets and refunded fraudulent subscriptions. 

I wonder if anyone in this thread happens to have been affected by this?  I realize that the intersection of the 0.02% hit by the fraud and the 0.0004% who have posted in this thread makes that a bit of a longshot, but I’d be curious if you got an email or just noticed that you had to log in again.

On the topic of whether it is still rolling out:  Besides the message in the Roku UI, I also received it via email.  The email included: “By continuing to use our products or services, you are agreeing to these updated terms.” So I guess that for anyone who thinks they’ve worked around it by pressing the HOME and Back a lot, Roku, apparently doesn’t see it that way.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
greginga
Channel Surfer

Re: Did anyone else notice Roku retroactively changed terms and conditions

@Emissary35 Actually, Terms of Services is something you must agree to as a condition of using said service. Try to sign up for any online service and not agree to the Terms of Service and see what happens. And on a side note, I have a Roku Plus TV that I bought and have been using since December. I haven't seen any such TOS update requiring any action on my part and my TV is still working just fine. It almost makes me think that perhaps it wasn't some sinister plot by Roku to control the population, but maybe some tech guy set it up that way without thinking it through, then realized the mistake when people started complaining, then they fixed it. Just a thought...

0 Kudos
RAender
Reel Rookie

I ended up seeing this thread after I posted in a thread about RokuTVs giving the "wifi hardware missing" code... Its an issue tons of people have been having since mid-2023, so I am wondering if THAT is why they changed their TOS to include this arbitration stuff, because it was mentioned in the thread by an unhappy customer. We also have tvs that wont work, but for a different reason. Roku just blames the tv manufacturers, but its a Roku issue. My tv has been a brick since November. Useless. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@RAender wrote:

...so I am wondering if THAT is why they changed their TOS to include this arbitration stuff, because it was mentioned in the thread by an unhappy customer. We also have tvs that wont work, but for a different reason. Roku just blames the tv manufacturers, but its a Roku issue. My tv has been a brick since November. Useless. 

The Roku TOS has always included arbitration. That isn't anything new with the latest TOS update. And if you have a TV that wasn't built by Roku, of course they are going to say you have to deal with whomever manufactured the TV. My Roku TV was built by Sharp, and they alone would be the one to provide any support for the TV. Roku builds the OS but each TV maker makes changes based on their platforms. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
fluke
Roku Guru

Roku has multiple terms and conditions documents but the generic one for simply having a Roku account (which is needed for the majority of products) was last updated October 17, 2020 and can be found here:

https://docs.roku.com/published/usertermsandconditions/en/us 

In that document is the following:

Arbitration of Disputes
All claims arising out of or relating to your Roku account or any Roku product or service will be resolved exclusively through arbitration, according to these Dispute Resolution Terms, unless you opted out or another exception applies. We both agree that all claims may only be conducted on an individual basis (and not in a class, consolidated, or representative action).

The Wayback Machine can confirm in October 2021, this clause was already there:
https://web.archive.org/web/20211015145218/https://docs.roku.com/published/usertermsandconditions/en... 

The game of locking the screen that will treat only pressing * (even accidently) as consent and then will never come back again is very shady.  But it isn't an attempt to retroactively add binding arbitration because they have had that boilerplate language in place for years already.  There has to be some other reason the legal dept would want to log weak single button pressed confirmations and get that performed now.

0 Kudos
AH04
Channel Surfer

"There has to be some other reason the legal dept would want to log weak single button pressed confirmations and get that performed now."

Maybe so, but I seriously doubt this tactic would have any legal upholding.  Like stated before, ANYONE - including minor children - who has access to your TV could press this * button.  Your neighbor who was housesitting could press it "accepting" the terms.  There's no way this could have any legal backup because they can't prove WHO accepted the new terms... minor children, neighbor, your mother-in-law, heck maybe even the dog sat on the clicker.

Bsbs
Binge Watcher

I am unable view the document due to its irregular font. I am concerned consumers are being required to consent to a legally binding document however consumers are not provided a copy of what they have signed for their records. I know of no other legally binding document that i have signed or consented to that I have not received a copy of.  

0 Kudos

Coercion. Will never trust Roku again.

Roku: At most, you get to coerce me one time. With the coercive threat to brick my TV, I will never buy a Roku product or service again, no matter how good the design, no matter how low the price. You have revealed yourselves as unworthy of my trust. You’ll never get a chance to regain my trust because I’ll never do business with you again. 

0 Kudos
urban_crawler
Binge Watcher

I can't tell what is worse...

So, know we now why Roku shoved this TOS down our throats.

It doesn't take many braincells to realize they've been holding to announce the data breach until the TOS update was pushed through.

How do the worst people make it to the top of these companies.  It's beyond me, but what a bunch of cowards.

Strega2
Roku Guru

The dispute resolution page on their website uses the same font as this forum.  If you don’t like it, you can copy and paste it to a word processor and select any font you prefer. (And you can print it in your preferred font as well.)

Also, are you aware that its easy to make text larger in most browsers by pressing control while rolling the scroll wheel or holding control and pressing + ?

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos