Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

ROKU's early March legal announcement updating their "Dispute Resolution Terms" has disabled my Sharp TV. The notice box is displayed whenever I turn it on, with no way to bypass it other than to "Agree". What the heck ? I can't use my TV for anything else !  Not happy !!

I tried contacting ROKU Customer Service as noted in the lengthy legal document, that phone call is not answered. I found another Customer Service number in google, many options, none of which helped, I tried to open some kind of support case via the Internet, that did not work.

Ironically, I might normally have just agreed. I do not have any problems with ROKU, but this action makes me concerned about agreeing to anything with them.

0 Kudos
NoBiden
Binge Watcher

Personally,  I already swapped out for Fire units that I had put aside for Roku. I refuse to agree to such tactics that Roku pulled. I deleted my credit card info first just in case. Fire has the same apps except for the Roku channel. Too bad I did start to enjoy the Roku channel but I refuse to be a chump and bend over. The terms were acceptable but not the lock out.

Nothappyr-o-k-u
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku can take their coercive TOS and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Sign me up for that class action. This is complete bs. No i do not accept!

0 Kudos
Nothappyr-o-k-u
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku can take their coercive TOS and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Sign me up for that class action. This is complete bs. No i do not accept!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@LarryCJR357 wrote:

I tried contacting ROKU Customer Service as noted in the lengthy legal document, that phone call is not answered. I found another Customer Service number in google, many options, none of which helped, I tried to open some kind of support case via the Internet, that did not work.

Bad, bad idea. Any "customer service" phone number you find with a web search is almost always going to be a scam site. Roku does not offer telephone support, so you won't find any legitimate numbers with a web search. You WILL find people that set up phony support sites that try to steal your Roku user credentials and your credit card information. 

ANY Roku support number that says you have to pay for something is BOGUS. Roku does NOT charge for any sort of support. There is no "premium" plan from Roku. NEVER pay for something that claims to fix a problem or provide you with "extra" services. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
EsNineteen

Do not agree with disclaimer I want a refund for my Ruku

Now that I am not able to use my Roku I want a refund for it because I do not agree with your disclaimer.

there should be a option agree, or disagree

I do not agree. I am stuck with something that you force me to have without being able to use. Therefore, I want a refund

you are very filthy Rich treat your customers with some respect and give us a refund for this device that is no longer usable

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@NoBiden wrote:

Fire has the same apps except for the Roku channel. Too bad I did start to enjoy the Roku channel but I refuse to be a chump and bend over. The terms were acceptable but not the lock out.

The Roku Channel is available on Android devices, so more than likely you can get it for your Fire TV device. It's available for all my Shield players and my Onn player. 

Roku failed miserably with the way they sent out this TOS notice. As you noted, the terms themselves are nothing new really. Arbitration was already part of the Roku TOS, no change there. But forcing an acceptance and completely blocking access to the device was completely unacceptable. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

Thank you for the heads up ! I should have known that.

0 Kudos
jcordone
Reel Rookie

Re: Coerced acceptance of new terms... Will not purchase a Roku TV again.

I love the unreal, bot-like responses with thumbs ups that try to redefine the issue through gaslighting.  So done with Roku, especially after this.

DocMail

Re: Roku disables players and TVs with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

I submitted this to their chief legal counsel and legal offices today.

This notice is a demand to remove the "Agree" button from my, and all, Roku devices wherein you are holding a previously purchased item hostage.  By your actions you are changing the terms and contract under which I, and presumably millions of others, purchased these products.  This constitutes a breach of contract on your part.  Based upon the reactions on your own Roku Blog, you will force the self-same class action you seek to protect yourself from being engaged in the first instance.  The hubris and arrogance will surely cause that which you seek so scurrilously to avoid. 

This demand requires you to remove, and cure, this willful and damaging defect you have intentionally planted in millions of devices, within 10 days of the date of this notice of demand.  I can assure you that your actions will indeed generate a class action suit which most assuredly will void the 'agreement' you have coerced from your previously loyal customers.  

Many lawyers, attorneys and legal minds are owners of your products.  This was unwise, and whatever legal opinion you followed was flawed at best, and reckless and foolish at worst.  Statistically you can be assured of reaping what you sought to avoid. 

In the event you refuse to release the devices you have chosen to willfully disable within 10 days of this demand notice, I personally will begin a legal action to protect my rights and recover the cost of three [3) Roku/ TCL devices I presently own and purchased.

No further demand, notice or attempt will be made or offered to Roku to resolve this issue amicably.

Sincerely, and assuredly,

Signature redacted