Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TopKat

Re: Roku Ultra (4640X) Stuck on Recovery mode

I am having the same issue with my Ultra 4640. I have tried various methods to fix the problem, but the device inevitably goes back to Recovery Mode. This seems to be a widespread issue, one that occurred recently around the same date for each user. It certainly seems like a software issue, perhaps a bug in a recent Roku system update. 

aamilo
Reel Rookie

I just got off a chat with Roku support.  In the end I was told to buy a new Roku.  I questioned why, basically Roku send out an update and now I have to buy a new Roku?  The response was that they added features that my 4640x couldn’t handle.?! 🤬

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@aamilo wrote:

I just got off a chat with Roku support.  In the end I was told to buy a new Roku.  I questioned why, basically Roku send out an update and now I have to buy a new Roku?  The response was that they added features that my 4640x couldn’t handle.?! 🤬

Another Roku support person that has no idea what they're talking about. There's been no added features that the 4640 would not be able to handle. Even the much older Roku 3 and 4 are still supported with the latest OS version, and there's been no reports of any of them being bricked by an update. The 4640 uses the same CPU as several other devices from the same generation, and none of them seem to be bricked either. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
JCameronHollis
Binge Watcher

@elucidator Were you able to successfully factory reset and resume normal operation? Or did your 4640X return to the Recovery Mode page after initiating a factory reset and reboot? A few users are holding out hope while quoting your post.

I ask because your post does not state a factory reset resumed normal operation for you; only that you got to the factory reset option.

Those of us with the affected 4640X players are able to access the recovery mode features (factory reset). However trying all options on the Recovery Mode screen (update, reboot, and factory reset) does not correct our issue. We're stuck.

Please clarify your Ultra series is a 4640X (bottom right corner of the recovery mode screen). If you have the affected 4640X series Ultra, were you able to recover use of the player?

Thank you.

Cheers!

0 Kudos

Yep, add me to the growing list of disappointed and angry Roku Ultra 4640X owners, where I now basically have a brick due to an apparently faulty software update. All I get is the bouncing ROKU logo over and over again. The system reboots, screen goes black, then right back to the bouncing logo.  I AM able to get to the Recovery Mode screen using the factory reset button, and have tried all of the options there, including watching it download and reinstall the software, it goes right back to the bouncing logo.  After about 10 minutes of that, it goes BACK to the Recovery screen again.  Restart doesn't work. Update doesn't work. Factory reset doesn't work.  Everything results in the same loop.  Roku needs to do something to fix this, either with some kind of rollback to the software (maybe it could be downloaded and installed manually via the USB port?), or give us a HUGE discount on buying a new device.

0 Kudos
judyneric
Channel Surfer

I got my 4640X working by using elucidator method (slightly different; held reset button on bottom of Roku and did not let go, plugged power into Roku, kept holding reset button, the bouncing ROKU letters appeared while still holding reset, and when the letters appeared I continued to hold the reset button for  another 20 seconds or so, before releasing it) . 

Never saw the recovery screen. Device started running. and I think this was the flow:  the device behaved as if it was new, had to set up internet connection (wired or wireless), it automatically downloaded and installed an update, I entered my account info (email addr), it downloaded all of my channels that are under that Roku account.

It's working fine so far.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.