Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dobbz
Binge Watcher

Roku Streaming Stick 3800X Stuck at Checking for new software

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Stream Stick model 3800X that I am unable to set up because it sits at "Checking for new software" for eternity. I have tried different wifi networks, different routers, different physical locations (friends house w/different ISP), different power sources, all resulting in the same issue.  I'm currently using the Roku Power Plug with the factory cable and have it directly connected to a HDMI monitor.  

This stick used to work just fine.  I used it before moving to a RokuTV.  Now I want to use it elsewhere in my house, but it will now not get past this screen.

I've tried everything I can think of.  Factory Reset numerous times.  It always boots fine, allows me to pick my WiFi network, and then gets stuck here "Software update" "Checking for new software..." with the spinning circle.

SN: CT3932362830.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 3800X Stuck at Checking for new software

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated the issue you are experiencing with being unable to update to a recent OS.

At this time, we believe this issue has been resolved and invite you to check for an update on your Roku device to see if your device can be updated to a more recent OS build.

Please keep us posted what you find out. We look forward to hearing back your responses.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

96 REPLIES 96
ddrakenfd22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem, has anyone been able to provide a remedy

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JohnD783,

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into.
Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Are you being prompted with an error message?
  2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  3. How long has the issue been occurring?
  4. What Roku model device are you using?
  5. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
  6. Have you tried rebooting your wireless network to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

JohnD783
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

1. No error messages

2. multiple channels

3. since the first day I installed it on my tv about 2 weeks ago

4. 9102x

5. Changed hdmi cables

6. not yet

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JohnD783,

Thanks for following up and providing additional information.

In this case, we'd recommend refreshing your home network connection by rebooting your wireless router and/or internet modem, restarting your device then connecting your wireless network to see if you are experiencing an issue with a channel loading content.

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
dobbz
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into.
Here are a few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Are you being prompted with an error message?  NO
  2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? DEVICE
  3. How long has the issue been occurring? WEEKS
  4. What Roku model device are you using? 3800X
  5. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
    1. New Network
    2. New Cable
    3. Reboot Device
    4. Reset Device (Holding Button for 30 Seconds)
    5. Phone Network (Wireless Access Point)
    6. Reboot Routers
  6. Have you tried rebooting your wireless network to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing? YES

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @dobbz @JohnD783

Thanks for follow- up.

We would recommend performing a factory reset on the affected device and then trying linking your existing Roku account once again.

Performing a factory reset using the hardware reset button

-On the back or bottom of each Roku device is a reset button. On some devices, there is a tactile button, while other devices have a pinhole button. 
-If your device has a pinhole button, you will need a paper clip to perform the factory reset.
-Once the reset button is located and your Roku device is powered on, press and hold the reset button firmly for about 10 seconds. The indicator light or status LED will blink rapidly on most Roku devices when the factory reset is complete.
For more information, check out this Support article: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku® streaming device

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
dobbz
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Done.  Didn't help.  I have a WireShark packet capture from trying to check for new software if you have someone that would like to look at it.

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @dobbz

Thanks for your input.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. We'll have a member of our Support team reach out to you via email, they will continue assisting you from there and provide a resolution to this issue.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
ddrakenfd22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
  1. Are you being prompted with an error message?
  2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  3. How long has the issue been occurring?
  4. What Roku model device are you using?
  6. Have you tried rebooting your wireless network to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing

1. No Error Message

2. Device doesn't allow to get to the channels, stuck at updating software

3. 1 week

4. 3800X worked prior to this issue 1 week ago

5. Changed networks, changed USB cable, Reset on the stick multiple times, unplugged for power down

6. yes I have rebooted the network

0 Kudos