Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gk802
Roku Guru

Re: Roku OS 10.0 Update Breaks Surround Sound

Same issue here with a Streaming Stick +.  I have two...one has upgraded to OS 10, the other is still on 9.4.  On the OS 10 Stick, the Roku Media Player will produces only clicks and pops on MP4s encoded with AC3 (5.1) audio.  The same MP4 on OS 9.4 plays fine.
Additional note:  No change to the situation by modifying Audio settings from Auto to PCM.  
No luck trying to downgrade the OS per the instructions.  I have blocked the 9.4 stick from the net, hoping I can keep it from upgrading.

0 Kudos
Duxa
Channel Surfer

@andyross wrote:

I have a Roku 4 and an Onkyo TX-NR696. I just did a test with Netflix, and it's getting DD+ 5.1 with no problems. The Roku is directly connected to the Onkyo.

Do you have more than 1 output out of the receiver? 

I use a 4x4 matrix switcher to connect Roku to 3 rooms, 2 of the devices are Stereo (normal TVs), and 3rd is Living room receiver with 5.1. Roku is connected directly to the switcher. Ive been using this setup for almost 10 years without any issues until this 10.0 update. Ive used it without problems with non roku devices as well as all software releases of Roku since 2015.

There was some change to the logic of DD signal in 10.0 update. Roku is getting confused by device detection. It should not be doing any kind of detection if I am forcing DD/DTS in audio settings, Auto is for that. 

Whatever logic DTS 5.1/Stereo use works just fine on 10.0, and logic used by DD 5.1 prior to this update 10.0 worked fine as well. 

In 10.0 update DD 5.1 logic was changed, and I think its a bug, because if you plug in an analyzer into the HDMI you can see that its sending garbled signal with an invalid DD signature. This signal is never valid, so Roku should never send it under any circumstances. Because it will just be clicks and pops on any device you play it on.

Roku's dev team needs to either let us roll back (I tried via the aforementioned guide but my only option is current 10.0 version), roll back the logic and release a patch build, or give us an option in audio menu to force DD 5.1 that disables any kind of detection from Roku, just force pipe out 5.1 DD signal regardless of whats on the other end. Call it an advanced option or something.

As I said, DTS 5.1 continues to work flawlessly under the same conditions. The issue is specific to changes in DD 5.1 binary/code in 10.0 release.

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

Re: Update 10 broke Dolby Digital playback

Same Issue with Streaming Stick +.  The same content that works fine with OS 9.4 produces only clicks and pops with OS 10.

0 Kudos
sogrady
Channel Surfer

I haven’t any issues with DTS here, garbled or not it seems to play fine. What broke and is pops and clicks for me is AC3, at least as far as I can tell. 

Duxa
Channel Surfer

@sogrady wrote:

I haven’t any issues with DTS here, garbled or not it seems to play fine. What broke and is pops and clicks for me is AC3, at least as far as I can tell. 

Yup DTS 5.1 works fine as it always has, Stereo works fine as it always has. DD 5.1 (AC3, EAC3 etc...) is what broke in 10.0

0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

Solved the DD playback issue by downgrading to OS 9.4 (I couldn't find the menu previously because I had mistaken which button was "rewind").  Changed the upgrade server from "beta" to "release".  I've now blocked access to the upgrade server at my router.  Hopefully, that will keep it from upgrading again.

0 Kudos
Duxa
Channel Surfer

This is a huge problem. Why is there no response from anyone on Roku's side? 

Bestivus

Just throwing in my 2 cents, been experiencing the same issues with AC3 5.1.  Nothing but this awful screeching.  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Duxa

Thanks for the post.

As stated previously in this thread, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

-what is your audio set to (let us know what is shown in Settings > Audio > HDMI)

Once we have this information we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gk802
Roku Guru

The issue should be easily duplicated by attempting to play any .mp4 file with audio encoded in AC3 codec format (regardless of the number of audio channels) using the Roku Media Player.  While the RMP version is unchanged between two Streaming Stick + devices (3810X), the stick running OS 10 produces an unlistenable audio stream while the stick running OS 9.4 is fine.

0 Kudos