Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blockbuster
Reel Rookie

Roku Model 4640X keeps rebooting

Issue started a few days ago.  Have tried the following:

-Tried another power supply from another roku

-new hdmi cable

-unplugged for hours and plugged back in. 

Remains stuck in a boot loop where it cant access any menus, just dancing roku symbol for around 10 seconds then reboots-- and repeats the same process.

Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Model 4640X keeps rebooting

@Blockbuster 

If using an SD card, try removing it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Blockbuster
Reel Rookie

I think I resolved the issue --there is a small rubber reset button on the very bottom of the unit (same color as black rubber).  Held for around 10 seconds and performed a factory reset....seems to be stable now but have to setup all my logins again 😭

Gregski

I hate this TV who wants to buy it from me I will take 200 for a 50 in tv

0 Kudos
Rbo

Model 4640x has been made unusable by update. Working okay before update. Now stuck in rebooting loop. All 4640x users should replace with a new $100 model. Just dispose of the non working 4640x at the nearest electronics recycling facility.

Better customer relations would have provided a way to get some sort of credit for being a current user of their product and services.

Better yet, leave the old units working as they were before the update while offering a discount to upgrade. 

I am having difficulties with justification of purchasing a replacement.

0 Kudos
aamilo
Reel Rookie

Having the same issue.  Tried to watch a show but the apps kept crashing and going to the main screen.  Looked for updates and there wasn’t any.  Tried using the system restart and am now stuck in a reboot loop.  Tried a power supply, new cables and even the reset button and nothing worked.
I truly hope that this wasn’t caused by an update and Roku just expects me to buy a new unit.  If that’s true I would have to rethink my Rokus.  I have three, this one and two newer ones.  Two are on smart TVs but I had the Roku 1st so I never used the smart TVs menu.  Time to start I guess.(?)

0 Kudos
JCameronHollis
Channel Surfer

The 4640X is a series of the Roku Ultra player, not a Roku TV. Find the TV model number and search the community for assistance for your specific issue.

Start a new post if you are unable to find a thread with an identical issue for your specific TV model and series.

Good luck.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
JCameronHollis
Channel Surfer

The initial issue you reported sounds like an app specific issue. For those who encounter an app that reboots often, delete and reinstall that specific app.e

Network issues could also cause app instability. If an app is struggling to load or stream content due to a slow, poor, or intermittent connection, most apps will reboot automatically attempting to resolve the connectivity issue.

A third probable cause is the player has maxed out its memory. Clear the cache and reboot to clear data. If this doesn't work delete apps to free up memory and reboot to clear their data.  

Now, for the reboot loop; is the Roku player rebooting before landing on the "Recovery mode" screen? Or are you referring to an app being in a reboot loop? If it is the Roku Ultra 4640X stuck in reboot/recovery mode, a Roku moderator should contact you via PM. If it is the app, delete and reinstall that app. Clear cache data prior to reinstalling the app. 

Good luck.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
aamilo
Reel Rookie

Thanks but I think you misunderstood.  I have the Roku Ultra on a smart tv.  I don’t use the smart tv but the Roku for streaming.  However now I’m forced to use the smart tv’s apps instead. 😞

0 Kudos
aamilo
Reel Rookie

Oops!  Just saw you next post.  I am not sure if the initial issue was an app issue for something else, it was the Roku app that we tried.

Now it’s just I a repeat loop never exiting the reboot loop.  I tried the reset button, leaving it unplugged for a few hours and hold the reset while plugging in, etc.  Sadly nothing is working, it just keeps rebooting.

UPDATE:  I just left it rebooting and after a long time (1/2 hour?), it finally got to recovery mode in some other language.  I’m not sure if I chose the right option, but I chose update.  It ran through the routine, rebooted and then started rebooting again and again. 😞

I guess I try factory reset if it get to recovery mode again.(?)

UPDATE #2:  Well I am making some progress, I can regularly get to Recovery mode now.  It takes four or five reboots and get there.  However nothing in recovery mode seems to work.  I tried update now and it just did the same .  Then I tried Factory reset and it ask a few things and then reboots and loops again but then comes to a screen which says it’s going to reinstall the software but doesn’t seem to work.  Just reboots again and again until we are back to the recovery mode. 😞

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.