Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markbz47

Roku Express update results in device unable to start up

This morning I was prompted to install an update to my Roku Express. It stated it could take several minutes to complete. I chose to install it. After approximately 40 minutes, the screen was rolling from right to left with some obscure images in the background. It never recovered.  After an hour I unplugged the devise and restarted it. The rolling screen continued.  I restarted it again with no change.  I shut it off and waited another hour.  I restarted it and there was no change.  I left it in that state and now the screen is blank.  The light is on the Roku unit.  I tried a reset manually and there is no change. I have restarted it again and it appears that it at the point the Roku screen with apps would appear it starts the rolling screen. At this point it appears the update has corrupted the OS and crashed my Roku unit.  

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
csmall

Re: Roku Express update results in device unable to start up

I'm having a similar issue. Can't access any channels. Can't reset. Can't go to Settings to reset. Have tried to hard reset, unplugging everything and sticking a paper clip into the reset on the Roku...still nothing. I can get as far as finding my internet/wi fi (which all seems to work), then it gets stuck. When it says it's sending me an email for activation, no email is sent.

FRUSTRATED!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express update results in device unable to start up

@Markbz47 @csmall

Thanks for the posts.

At this time, we would recommend trying to perform a factory reset on the Roku device to see if you can setup and update your Roku device.

When performing a factory reset, please make sure to press and hold down the reset button for at least 30 seconds, regardless of what is happening on screen.

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.