Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yutagg

Roku Express suddenly started HDCP Error Detected

I see this is a common issue. Tells you something that I hadn't ever even heard of it, even though have had my Roku for probably a decade. Last watched my series maybe 3 or 4 days ago. Went to watch and cannot as keep getting this error. I will say we had a power outage, with some OCR blinking, a few mornings back. My PS4 wouldn't even turn on after, until I unplugged it from the wall for awhile.

So what gives? Have an older JVC tv, and this Express. Again, never have I once seen this before so seems a bit odd to suddenly be saddled with it.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express suddenly started HDCP Error Detected

HDCP has been around since 2000, and yes, it occasionally does cause issues, just like Macrovision did before it.  To me, OCR means Optical Character Recognition, so I’m not sure what you were saying there, but it does sound like your equipment got zapped.

As a shot in the dark, try unplugging power from everything, reseating the HDMI cables, and then plug it all back in.

If there are any HDMI switches or splitters being used, try bypassing them.

My First Express 3700 from 2016 would randomly have HDCP problems – maybe 2-5% of the time.  I’ve never seen one since I replaced it with a 3941 from 2021.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.