Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express loop restart with software update

Replacing a car = $30,000+
New phone lease = $20/ month ($1000 total)

Roku Express 4K+ = $29.99

Roku Stick 4K+ = $69.99

A car has value. Even at 16 years old. Unfortunately a 5 year or so Roku has zero value. People downloaded their iPhones phones to a new iOS and it bricked their phones. People downloaded a new version of Windows and it bricked their computers. It happens. If replacing your bricked Roku was gonna cost you $500+ I could understand. Most Roku downloads are automatic. Sorry you experienced this. Heck my $200 Keurig stopped working after 2 years. My only choice was to go buy another $200 Keurig. People spend $50,000 on a new car. Years later it out of warranty but yet they are still paying $300/month on it. Then it breaks down and costs them $3000 to fix. Things could worse then a bricked old Roku 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@zublerr 

A Roku employee will respond to you shortly and address your issue.   Unfortunately, sometimes there are unintended results with any software/firmware update. (a little frustrating with a forced update such as Roku OS though).

Sometimes it is a coincidence when a device stops working or experiences issues and Roku has recently released an update.  However, when a device fails immediately (seconds) after a pushed update, not unreasonable to assume there is an issue with the update.

Many times Roku can revert your device back to your previous working OS build (10.5) while they investigate/address your issue.  Just monitor this posting and wait for their response which should be today.  (not much Roku employee interaction over the weekends).

Sending a second page to @RokuDanny-R and @RokuKariza-D.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@zublerr

Thanks for the post.

Have you already tried performing a factory reset on your Roku device by pressing and holding down the reset button on your Roku device for at least 30 seconds regardless of what happens on screen?

In addition, we would recommend to make sure the Roku device is being plugged into a wall outlet as opposed to plugged into the TV USB port.

As a last troubleshooting step, when checking for an update, we would recommend trying to connect to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing an issue.

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
lb123
Reel Rookie

Make sure you're using the supplied power adapter and not the TV's USB port even if it has always worked. Since you're stuck in a loop, you may just want to try a factory reset. Find the reset button and using a paperclip or something similar press and hold it for no less than 30 seconds with the power connected while ignoring anything that may be showing onscreen.

had same issue, used the supplied power adapter instead and it worked for me. wierd

0 Kudos
bretones
Reel Rookie

Hi, Danny

Same problem, here. Already tried factory reset pressing and holding the reset button for at least 30s.

Tried to plug the device into a wall outlet although it always worked plugged into the TV USB.

Tried to use my mobile hotspot as wireless network.

The problem started with the software version 11.x (it was running 10.5.x).

Now it always initialize with the "Let's get started", I choose my language, setup my network (my router or my hotspot), it connects, show a message that are an update avaiable, show the updating software popup, make it do 100%, ask to do not turn ok my tv, reboot it self and go to "Let's get started" again and again and again....

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@bretones

Thanks for the post.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bretones
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-RI'm still unable to resolve my issue. My SN is X00400DLAPSD. Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@bretones

Thanks for the follow up and providing us with your device information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
craz_ya

this is a gimik by roku to get money i believe. I'm having so much trouble, I think i'll just quit with the roku and try free satellite . The roku system stinks anyway.

0 Kudos
pike

Happened to me too. I just kept 'updating' it through the loop (~ 6 times) . Eventually, it worked; the update stayed in! (Perhaps there were just many updates to do). 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.