Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Olog

Roku Express 3900 says it is overheating

I have an Express+ which overheats from time to time. It is in a well-ventilated area and I find it disappointing that the device was not better engineered to keep this inconvenience from occurring. What I decided to do as a way of alleviating the problem is make a paper "platform" by folding two pieces of toilet paper into small rectangles and placing them under the unit at each end to lift it up a bit so that the bottom of the device is exposed to the air in order to increase the surface area which is continuously ventilated. So far so good!

What perplexes me is why Roku didn't incorporate a raised platform into the design of the device in the first instance? To me, distributing the Express with this design flaw is not acceptable. This is the first Time I have ever owned any technology that overheats during regular use. Not great!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Express 3900 says it is overheating

Hi @Olog,

Greetings from the Roku Community!
We will be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you're having with the Roku Express since it was overheating. Could you provide us with the serial number of your Roku device? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Olog

C5395E416145

If you read my post, you will see how I attempted to remedy the situation:

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Olog,

Thank you for the additional information!

May we know when and where you purchased this Roku device?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Olog

I purchased it on the Roku website some years ago. The exact date is no longer available.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Olog,

Thank you for updating us!

We understand you're having a problem with the Roku Express since it was overheating. We're happy to assist you further. Please check out this support article here on what to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message.

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you further.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kptnjak
Reel Rookie

thanks for your solution.  I'll try it.  like yours, my Express is in a well ventilated area, not on top of other electronics, or in direct sunlight; mine overheated 11:00 PM yesterday.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @kptnjak,

A heartfelt welcome from the Roku Community!

We are sorry to hear about the issue you reported and want to let you know that this is not the normal experience we expect from our products.

• Is this the first time you have experienced this issue?
  • How are you powering your Roku device?

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos