Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasinwa
Channel Surfer

Roku 12.0 OS Bug - Roku digital Clock Screensaver

My Roku 3820X updated to 12.0.0 build 4175-CU.

I use the Roku Digital Clock screensaver that is standard on the Roku. My Roku stays on all the time and the screensaver kicks in at 30 minutes.

Since the upgrade, after the screensaver kicks in, the fonts of the digital clock have shrunk, along with the app panels and characters on the left side of the home page (home, featured free, what to watch, etc).

The only way to "fix" it is to restart the Roku, but that's not acceptable.

This did not happen prior to the 12.0 upgrade. I have 4 other Roku's (3820, 3810's and a Hisense Roku TV) and none of them have upgraded yet.

Please fix in a new version or update the screensaver so it works. Pics of how it should look and how it looks attached.

bug showingbug showing

How it should lookHow it should look

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 12.0 OS Bug - Roku digital Clock Screensaver

This isn't new to 12.0. I started having that problem a long time ago. I gave up on it and changed to the falling logo screensaver instead.

0 Kudos
jasinwa
Channel Surfer

thanks for the info, but it never happened to me prior on 5 Roku's...

The one that updated to 12, it happens EVERY time now....

Let's hope Roku fixes the issue, whatever the solution. I wonder if they even read these forums as there is no easy way to report bugs.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jasinwa,

Thank you for reporting this issue to Roku Community!

We understand that you are facing an issue with the Roku digital clock screensaver after an update.

We'll send this over to the Roku team for investigation. We'll get back to you once an update is available I'll be sure to let the Community know/ I'll be sure to update this Community thread

We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

I did some looking at this but haven't reproduced it yet. Can you give details on the TV that you're connected to? Are you running in 1080p.or 720p display mode? Is the stick connected directly to the TV or through a receiver or soundbar?

This looks similar to some other issues I've been trying to track down where the HDMI identification information the TV sends gets corrupted by a passthrough device.

0 Kudos
jasinwa
Channel Surfer

stick connected directly to hdmi port.

This office TV is an older JVC lcd but it is HD...running in 1080p in "automatic mode" mode. I will also try in "1080p mode" [not auto] for a test to see if that changes anything.

under Roku display type, I changed from Auto 1080p to manual 1080p

YES, this time when I checked after being away from the TV for a while, the clock and home menu were normal size.

I'll run this way but as I recall, there will be nuances of not having it in auto (screen blanks, etc).

Sounds like you are on the right track. What is the difference from Roku manual to Roku automatic? Bet that's where you'll find your answer.

0 Kudos
RokuBen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

I suspect the older TV is causing the display system to get confused sometimes with Auto mode.  As that version of the Roku Streaming Stick can handle 4K video, it can run the user interface in either 1080p or 720p mode.  Having it in auto mode means that it can get into situations where the UI switches rapidly between those modes, and sometimes not everything gets updated correctly.

0 Kudos
jasinwa
Channel Surfer

Other moving screensavers don't have the issue, only the Roku digital Clock does (I haven't tried every screensaver of course).

Just turned it on now (from yesterday) and all is still OK in that 1080p manual mode....

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I've never seen an advantage to the auto detect option over setting Display type to your set's actual resolution. The set has to convert everything it displays to its own actual resolution anyhow. 

Auto detect depends on the set reporting its capabilities to the Roku during the initial HDMI handshake and sometimes sets have been known to not report accurately.  If this happens it can result in the Roku sending signals the set mishandes or can't handle at all.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
jasinwa
Channel Surfer

I thought "auto" would stop the screen from flashing if/as changing resolutions on the fly within a show/movie. I've had mine in manual for a day and have not seen any ill effects yet.

If the setting presents issues/is problematic, then it should be fixed or removed as an option, imo....

thanks for replying!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.