Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
45hhd
Reel Rookie

Does Roku have an unlocking policy?

Companies such as Xiaomi provide a service where we can apply for permission to unlock the device, and install the software we want, giving us full control. This is particularly helpful for  e-waste and the environment. 

It's also helpful if you've had enough of adverts on your TV. 

How does Roku help it's customers gain control of the device they have bought? What is the process like?

If unlocking is not permitted, are owners permitted to install their own apk within the unlocked, sandboxed environment?

In other words, if I buy a Roku device, am I going to be forced to watch adverts? Am I the product?

This isn't meant to be a political question. I need it know what I am buying, or renting access to. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does Roku have an unlocking policy?

Roku devices are very locked down and they are not Android, so no APKs.  Given that you're asking these questions, it may not be the device for you.  More and more I feel like I don't own my Roku devices, they do.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Williamt100
Roku Guru

Re: Does Roku have an unlocking policy?

"More and more I feel like I don't own my Roku devices, they do."

Amen!

Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos