Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chicken
Roku Guru

Re: Remove the big search box from Roku home screen

Jump to solution

I have to wonder about the extensive list of "new and improved" slings and arrows Roku is preparing to "gift" users.  Keep in mind, they tried to sell this as an improvement.

PiecedOff
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

IMG_5533.jpeg

Kim5784
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I recently changed my screensaver for the first time. I didn't realize it at the time, but it evidently caused two changes to my home screen - I now have a search box and a continue watching list. I don't want either!!! Why can't the search box go on the search page? Seems logical to me. And if you're going to include a continue watching list, at least give me the ability to disable it completely. Using the asterisk on the individual shows doesn't work. I have two Roku sticks. I changed the screensavers on both before I realized that it caused these new "features." I want my nice, clean home screen back!

swg1

Jump to solution

I agree that this is a step backward...just adds extra click when I turn on my device....in the least, make it optional so it can be removed.

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @swg1,

Welcome, and thank you for posting here at the Roku Community!

Currently, It isn't possible to hide this Search bar; however, you can definitely customize other parts of your left navigation column by going to Home > Settings > Home screen. 

We hear your feedback and suggestions regarding Roku's newest features, and we'll ensure that our appropriate team sees them for review. Let us know if there's anything else you'd like some assistance with, and we'd be happy to help.

Warm regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
normsund

Jump to solution

Hate the search box on the home screen so much considering removing roku.

pige

Jump to solution

Why would this even be a thing, it makes absolutely no sense.

Questionguy7813
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Please remove the giant search box from the apps area. 

Rockgodtobe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is an incredibly annoying bug (I refuse to call it a feature) 

Lots and lots of complaints, replies, and months since the original post.  Either Roku doesn’t care or moves at a pace that has snails yelling “slow down speed demon.”

To make it worse, someone had to come up with this idea, pitch it to other people, put together a team to work on it, beta test, fully test, and then decide to roll it out to the masses and not 1 single person ever said “You know what? This is kind of annoying. Maybe we should rethink this.”

shannon-k
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

For those that think the nonsense is over, it's NOT! The dreaded search box just showed up on my Roku Ultra 4802 last night, despite the software not having been updated since 5/11/23. What the actual he**? How does that even happen? 

In case it's not obvious to anyone affiliated with Roku monitoring these boards, you can count this as a definite dislike of the new feature. I do use the search feature, but only occasionally. I can easily navigate to it on the left menu. Like most people, I have my favorite apps in the most convenient spots. I can scroll to them without even looking if I'm half asleep (I have narcolepsy and put on familiar movies when I take naps). I don't want, need, or like this extra step. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.