Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neo1981
Reel Rookie

Remove the big search box from Roku home screen

Jump to solution

It seems like with a recent update, there's a big search box now on the Roku home screen. How do I remove it? I checked the settings and even the hidden settings, but didn't see an option to disable it. 

It seems like bad UX, since it requires at least one more click to get to the apps I want. I like the UX to be simple and Roku keeps complicating it. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Remove the big search box from Roku home screen

Jump to solution

Hi everyone!

Some users may see a Search Bar at the top of their home screen to improve navigation and content discovery and get you into your streaming content as soon as you turn on your TV. This feature is only displaying on a subset of devices at this time.

It isn't possible to hide this Search Bar, but you can customize other parts of your left navigation column by going to Home > Settings > Home screen and taking a look at the options there.

This is a great place to leave your feedback for the Home Screen Search Bar, and we'll ensure the product team sees it. 

Thank you!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

91 REPLIES 91
joeclark
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I understand your preference for a simpler user experience on your Roku device. However, as of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, there is no built-in option to remove the search box from the Roku home screen. The search box is a prominent feature introduced by Roku to facilitate quick and convenient content discovery across multiple streaming services.

Roku periodically updates its user interface and features, so it's possible that there may have been changes since my knowledge cutoff. To ensure you have the most up-to-date information, I recommend visiting the official Roku support website or checking for any recent announcements or firmware updates related to customizing the Roku home screen.

Alternatively, you can provide feedback directly to Roku regarding your preference for a simpler user experience and the option to remove or customize certain elements on the home screen. Roku values user feedback and continually improves its products based on user input.

Please note that the user interface and available customization options may vary depending on your specific Roku device model and the version of Roku software you are using. Therefore, it's always a good idea to check the official Roku resources or contact Roku support for the most accurate and current information.

zandrea
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This seems not possible for now.

0 Kudos
PiecedOff
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No, this is a new feature. This is not something that has been there. And it forces you to use an extra key push to navigate to any of the channels. The first thing in the channel grid that you can get to from the home screen...the only thing you can get to first...is the search box. This is incredibly stupid because how many people turn on the TV and the first thing they want to do is search? I have my channels arranged so that the most popular one is first etc. I don’t wanna have to navigate through a useless search box to get there.

Fishy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is a really stupid....I want to say upgrade but its really a downgrade!

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Can someone post a screenshot of this Search box and the build number from Settings/System/About.

I have OS12 spread across a few different Roku devices and have not seen this large Search box being mentioned by some users in this thread.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Joe11235
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It’s definitely new. I have it on a TCL with 12.0.0 build 4182-88 and hate it immensely but it’s not yet on my Express 4K+ that is still 11.5.0 build 4312-CR. It’s already bad enough that we can’t set a specific app to auto launch (eg the way that you can set your TV to always be on a specific input when powered on) or have the cursor start out in the location of your first channel instead of on the sidebar.

IdbI

Jump to solution

It’s worse than having to push an extra button to get to the channel grid — I can’t get to the channel grid at all!  I can see it, but my remote automatically highlights the big annoying search box, and when I try to move down to the channel grid, it refuses to budge and just gives me that hollow door knock sound.  I can no longer use my Roku at all!  Help!

Fishy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Fyi, the search bar is on my 2016 Roku Ultra but not on my 2016 Roku Premiere...yet.

IdbI

Jump to solution

Disregard my post.  I unplugged my Roku and plugged it back in, which forced it to upgrade and it works fine now.  And the search box is gone!

0 Kudos