Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tacoma5050
Reel Rookie

Remote only turns on TV after a few hours of TV and roku being off

Jump to solution

I have a new Roku Ultra 4802R.

The power button on the roku remote only turns on the TV, the Roku does not turn on.  The TV sees no signal from the roku box. I need to press the button on the side of the Roku box for it to come on so I can view TV. 

Note: If I am actively watching TV and I press the power button on the roku remote, the TV goes off, then  a few minutes later, if I press the power button on the remote, both the TV and the roku box come on. 
It seems that the remote does not turn on both only if the TV has been off for an extended period of time. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Remote only turns on TV after a few hours of TV and roku being off

Jump to solution

@tacoma5050 The power button on the remote is only for the TV.  To turn on the Roku hit the home button on the remote or any button other than on/off or volume.  If you want to avoid having to hit the home button on the Roku go into settings, system, power, auto power savings, and unclick the box for power savings after 20 minutes of no interaction.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@tacoma5050 The power button on the remote is only for the TV.  To turn on the Roku hit the home button on the remote or any button other than on/off or volume.  If you want to avoid having to hit the home button on the Roku go into settings, system, power, auto power savings, and unclick the box for power savings after 20 minutes of no interaction.  

tacoma5050
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@HDMIGuy  Thanks! I spent over 45 minutes on the phone with Roku support and they never told me this.

In fact they told me that my Roku-Ultra was defective and to retrurn it to the store! When they told me that my Roku does not have a power saver mode, I lost all confidence in whatever they said. I asked to speak to level 2 tech support they said that is not an option.

Very poor customer support to say the least.

0 Kudos
tacoma5050
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@cdsfew112 see solution above by HDMIguy

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@cdsfew112 The power and volume controls on Roku remotes only control TVs.  The power button on a Roku remote will not power on a Roku device.  If a Roku device has powered off hitting the home button on the Roku remote will turn on the Roku device.  

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

That post was just for the SPAM placement.  (The work "and" is linked.)

0 Kudos