Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWJames71
Reel Rookie

Purple logo tags: what is their purpose?

Jump to solution

I just recently got a Roku Ultra.

I find myself wondering about the purpose of the purple logo tags.

I have found a post about running a cord or shoe lace through the loop of the tag on the remote as a passive remote locator. While I do not think this is the intended purpose it is at least purpose. 

But, what about the logo tag on the box that connects to the TV? It's not as though this should easily get lost the way a remote might. Also, it has the HDMI, USB and power adapter cords connected which can be followed to the box should it happen to fall behind your TV stand or dresser...whatever you have the box located on.

Is there an actual purpose for there tags beyond simply having the Roku name on the item? Why not just have the name as part of the plastic housing on the remote the way it is on the box that connects to the TV? And the Roku name is already on the box that connects to the TV molded into the plastic casing so why have the purple logo tag on that?

I know it's kind of stupid but, I like to know about such things.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Purple logo tags: what is their purpose?

Jump to solution

@JWJames71 

Appears to just be a unique form of branding.

Here are the trademark application/document history regarding the tags. (used since 2010, applied for trademark 2014) https://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86372745&docId=ROA20150618173955#docIndex=21&page=1

Here is an article discussing the tags and a Roku response in application process that the tags serve no real functional purpose other than branding. https://www.duetsblog.com/2015/06/articles/trademarks/purple-colored-fabric-tags-attached-to-remote-...

“The Examining Attor ney requested additional information and responses to inquiries regarding Applicant’s mark. Applicant responds as follows: 1. The purpose or function of the purple fabric tag is to be a label for the goods, just as a fabric tag is used as a label for articles of clothing. 2. Attached is a screen shot from Applicant’s website showing the mark as used on the goods. 3. To the best of Applicant’s knowledge and recollection, no others in Applicant’s industry use a fabric tag as a source identifying label or indicator of origin on the housing of these consumer electronic devices. Applicant is unaware of any goods in its industry that use fabric tags appended to the housings of the goods. 4. The function, purpose and cost of Applicant’s goods are unaffected by Applicant’s appending of a fabric tag on the goods. The fabric tags offer no particular functional or cost advantage of any kind. They merely serve as an inherently distinctive indicator of origin given the uniqueness of having a fabric tag appended to the housing of consumer electronic goods such as those produced by Applicant and those in its industry.”

---

Good question.  👍

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JWJames71 

Appears to just be a unique form of branding.

Here are the trademark application/document history regarding the tags. (used since 2010, applied for trademark 2014) https://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn86372745&docId=ROA20150618173955#docIndex=21&page=1

Here is an article discussing the tags and a Roku response in application process that the tags serve no real functional purpose other than branding. https://www.duetsblog.com/2015/06/articles/trademarks/purple-colored-fabric-tags-attached-to-remote-...

“The Examining Attor ney requested additional information and responses to inquiries regarding Applicant’s mark. Applicant responds as follows: 1. The purpose or function of the purple fabric tag is to be a label for the goods, just as a fabric tag is used as a label for articles of clothing. 2. Attached is a screen shot from Applicant’s website showing the mark as used on the goods. 3. To the best of Applicant’s knowledge and recollection, no others in Applicant’s industry use a fabric tag as a source identifying label or indicator of origin on the housing of these consumer electronic devices. Applicant is unaware of any goods in its industry that use fabric tags appended to the housings of the goods. 4. The function, purpose and cost of Applicant’s goods are unaffected by Applicant’s appending of a fabric tag on the goods. The fabric tags offer no particular functional or cost advantage of any kind. They merely serve as an inherently distinctive indicator of origin given the uniqueness of having a fabric tag appended to the housing of consumer electronic goods such as those produced by Applicant and those in its industry.”

---

Good question.  👍

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

JWJames71
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well, at least it's not like Fesley guitars that have the name on at least 12 locations on some guitar models.

The tag on the bottom of my remote does help cushion the remote from hitting the bottom of my remote caddy too hard. So, I won't complain too much about it having no real, intended purpose (other than branding).

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.