Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smithchrism
Channel Surfer

[OS 12.0] Roku Ultra Dolby Vision Update after Firmware Update

Hello,

I have a Roku Ultra hooked up to a Yamaha sound system which is in turn hooked up to a LG C2 OLED 65" TV.  I've had this setup since last November, 2022.  

In display type, I set my Roku to 'Automatic (4k Dolby Vision)'.   When using Roku, my system always came up on Dolby Vision.  I know this because the words 'Dolby Vision' would come up briefly upon power-up in the upper right corner of the TV screen.  Additionally, I can go into the TV display and it will show me what mode it currently is in and if dolby vision was on.

Recently, I started to notice the colors weren't as bright and vivid.  After investigating, I began to realize Roku was not comming up in 'Dolby Vision' anymore.    Being a technical person, I wondered if some firmware had been updated somewhere or perhaps I needed to install a new update.  I got to looking in the Roku's settings and realized the Roku had automatically updated itself on 4/19/23.  It is my believe my Roku and my settings worked fine until this software update.

I have gone back to settings. I can manually set the display type to '4k Dolby Vision HDR TV'.  When I do, Dolby Vision works fine.  Upon, shutting everything down and watching TV again at a later time, the display settings go back to 'Automatic (4k Dolby Vision)' on their own and Dolby Vision stops working again.

On a hunch, I checked the firmware on my Yamaha sound system and the TV.  Both needed updating but did not resolve the problem.

I'm confident this issue did not start till the Roku updated its software recently.  

Some information about my Roku:

Model:  4800X - Roku Ultra
Serial Number:  X0100071PW41
Software Version:  12.0.0 BUILD 4175-C2

Any thoughts on how to resolve this?  My setup is right now plugged into my sound system.  The sound system then sends the video to the TV.  I can hook the Roku straight to the TV and the TV will then send the sound via ARC to the sound system.  I may try this and see if everything works fine again.  If this works that will be a solution for me but that software update needs to be looked at.

Thanks,

Chris Smith

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
bmf614z
Channel Surfer

Dolby vision goes away until reboot

Hello,

After an update on my 4800x/Roku Ultra about 10 days ago I noticed that all of my settings on my TV were screwed up. I did some digging and it turns out that a change Roku made is causing Dolby Vision to fail until I restart my Roku. 

So for example if I just hit the power button on the Roku remote, it turns everything on but the Dolby Vision logo that usually shows up doesnt appear. If I go into system -> power -> and reboot it. It goes back to normal until the next time I turn the TV off.

My Roku is running 12.0.0 build 4175-c2

My TV is an LG C2 77" OLED running 3.30.67

I have been using this same setup for a long time. This bug was introduced in one of the latest Roku updates.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Dolby vision goes away until reboot

If Roku version 12 turned on "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction", see if turning it off helps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
bmf614z
Channel Surfer

Re: Dolby vision goes away until reboot

That was the first thing I did. No impact.

0 Kudos
smithchrism
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra Dolby Vision Update after Firmware Update

I thought I would update this with some new developments.

In my original post, I indicated I was going to bypass the sound system and hook my Roku directly up to the TV.  Utilizing eARC, I could run a cable from my TV to the sound system to get sound.  The hope was since the sound system was no longer between my Roku player and the TV, this would "encourage" the Roku to stay in Dolby Vision.

I implemented this and at first I thought it worked fine.  However, after shutting down and restarting my system 2-3 times since my last post, I see this didn't work and I'm still having the same issue.  In display setting, I can set my Roku to '4k Dolby Vision HDR' manually and it works just fine.  After shutting down and restarting a time or two, I get a notice on the TV screen saying my display setting is being set to 'Automatic 4k Dolby Vision' and my screen no longer goes to dolby vision.  I have to reset it manually.

Setting the display setting to 'Automatic 4k Dolby Vision' worked fine for months with no issue; my system always went to Dolby Vision and the colors were noticeably better.  I've researched and thought about this enough. I'm positive my system worked fine until the 4/19 update the player downloaded.

For the time being, I guess I'll have to go it display settings and manually select the '4k Dolby Vision HDR' option when I first power up and before I select a channel to watch.  This works fine till I power down my system.  You would think if you manually selected the setting the system would keep using it instead of trying to go to Automatic setup on its own.

Come on Roku.   Check into this please.

Thanks,
Chris Smith

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Greetings @smithchrism 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding the issue you are experiencing with the lates OS 12.0.

Please be aware that I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

In the meantime, can you please provide the following information:

• model of your TV that you are using
  • channels that you are seeing this issue occur
  • specific titles that you see this issue with

Once more details are available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread. Your patience and understanding while we look into the issue is much appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
smithchrism
Channel Surfer

Danny, thanks for responding.

Before I answer your questions, I'll report something under the heading of "I can't believe this".  

Last Thursday (4/27) while at work (which is where I made my last response from), the Roku's software had another update.  I'm not positive, but I think the issue is resolved!  I haven't had much of a chance to use the system since then, but every time the system has been started it comes up in Dolby Vision without me having to do anything special.  I'll keep at it and report back in a day or two on what I see.

The model of TV I have is a LG C2 65" TV, model # OLED65CPUA.  By the way, my sound system is a Yamaha RX-V6A.  My Roku and 4k Disc player all hook into the Yamaha.  The Yamaha in turn plays the sound and sends the image to the TV.  As stated, I did try plugging the Roku directly into the TV.  The TV would then send the sound to the Yamaha via eARC.  This didn't resolve the problem.  My 4k Dics player never had an issue during any of this.

Regarding the next two bullet points, it doesn't matter what channel or titles I'm watching.  Before this issue started, when I first turn my system on it would go straight to Dolby Vision.  This was evidenced by the fact I would always see "Dolby Vision" appear in the upper right corner and the colors on the screen would look much brighter and vivid.  If I wanted to, I could use the TV display to show what mode it was in.  It would confirm it was in Dolby Vision.  This was before I ever entered any channel or watching any title/show.  Going to a channel and watching a title resulted in everything in Dolby Vision.  For some reason, after the software update the system stopped going to Doby Vision when powering up.  This resulted in all channels/titles not being in Dolby Vision.

I hope this helps.

I'll report back in a couple days if the new software update has resolved the issue.

Thanks,
Chris Smith

0 Kudos
smithchrism
Channel Surfer

Danny,

I have another update.

That didn't take long.  I turned the system on, which included the Roku player (I'm using the Roku app to play TV which is Spectrum as their box won't display in Dolby Vision/HDR), this morning and it didn't go into Dolby Vision like I expected.

So, it looks like we are back to where we were before.

Let me know what you think or if you need anything else.

Thanks,
Chris Smith

0 Kudos

@smithchrism 

I cannot replicate this with a 4800 (OS 12.0.0-4178) directly connected to a C2 (firmware 03.30.67).

Its possible the issue is due to having Power Savings enabled -  make sure Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings = Unchecked

To maintain a manually configured Display type setting after a reboot/restart (Using remote):   Home 5x, Down, Left, Up 3x, Select "Disable Automatic Recovery".   To change it back use the same process and "Enable Automatic Recovery" or Factory Reset your device.

I notice you have "HDR Always On" enabled (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Advanced Display Settings/HDR Always on = On) - though this is the default for RokuOS (generally), this is NOT recommended (or preferred by most), and should be Off.

Since your TV supports DV (Dolby Vision), ALL output (SDR/HDR10/HLG/DV) is output as DV, which causes content not mastered in DV or BT.2020 colorspace to be incorrectly output as DV/BT.2020 etc, resulting incorrect colors/brightness.

SDR mastered at BT.709 should be output as SDR BT.709, HDR10 BT.2020 as HDR.BT.2020, HLG as HLG, DV as DV, etc. 

Your LG C2 has excellent support for all colorspace ranges and HDR types on all inputs and internal apps. If any tonemapping needs to be done, your TV is far more capable of doing it instead of your streaming device (Roku 4800), since it knows its own capabilities, and is the preferred device to do it.

OS12 build 4175 may have disabled "HDR Always on" by default (= Off), which may have been what you experienced (not seeing the DV logo on HT startup), and they may have changed it back (to default = On) with build 4178 (Factory Reset is the only real way to tell, and that isn't recommended).

Otherwise, make sure you have the latest firmware for all your devices  including LG C2 firmware version 03.30.67 and that you have enabled HDMI Deep Color (Settings/General/Devices/HDMI Devices/HDMI Deep Color = 4K) for your LG C2.

Ultimately using/choosing "HDR Always on" is your choice (though heavily not recommended by most), but considering all of the downsides (incorrect tone mapping/colorspace usage, TV does better job if needed, problems with maintaining output mode with system/HDMI reset, etc), you might consider disabling it and using the TV's settings to tweak any SDR/HDR10/HLG content to your liking (which it will maintain per color mode/range (SDR/HDR10/DV) per input).

smithchrism
Channel Surfer

StreamerUser-2,

Wow.  That was a heck of a response.  Thanks for that.  It is appreciated.

I think I'm seeing what happened.  Something changed at some point (software update) or whatever and the system was no longer showing everything in Dolby Vision HDR each time.  It was showing Dolby Vision if the source material was Dolby Vision (such as The Mandalorian on Disney+).  Basically, the player was acting as the source material said to act and I wasn't used to it because the colors/HDR were no longer being forced.

I would suggest if HDR is set to forced and someone has manually set the display to '4k Dolby Vision HDR' in display settings then the system should stay there instead of kicking itself out of it like it was doing with me.   If that is what they want and they manually set it, then that's what they should get.  It appears it is no longer doing it since that firmware update.  For me, prior to the update, when I set the system to HDR it stayed in HDR and never kicked out of it, even if I was watching an old western.  It did make the colors brighter and more vibrant.  Even if that isn't what the original source material was made in, some people do like the results and may want to leave it that way.

For me, I'm going to have to determine how I want it I suppose.  I went back and enabled Deep Color on my TV and some other stuff.  Without HDR, the images on regular TV do look pretty good.  Like I said, I'll have to determine what I want.

Thanks again for the help.  That was a big deal.

Chris Smith

0 Kudos