Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stannickel
Channel Surfer

New stick kills Sony TV after about 20 minutes

Jump to solution

I bought a new ROKU Express 4K+ unit last week, and after I installed it and connected it to my Sony Bravia TV, I found that the TV would stop dead after about 20 minutes.  I would restart the TV, and it would happen. Again and again. I removed the ROKU unit and the TV worked fine again.

I finally put the unit on my old TV where it works OK.

Any idea why it would kill my $1,600 TV every 20 minutes?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New stick kills Sony TV after about 20 minutes

Jump to solution

@stannickel 

The newer Roku devices (like your Express 4k/4k+) have a Power Saving Feature. You need to press the Home button on your Roku Remote to wake the device once the feature has initiated.

Try disabling this feature from Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/20 mins

(https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

stannickel
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Again, the community wins. I am fairly sure that this will fix my issue with ROKU killing my TV.

I guess the old TV didn’t have the bell or whistle that allowed gadgets to control it.so, the new 4K+ couldn’t whack it. The new 4-month old TV has the bell or whistle that exposes it to bad influences, like ROKU. 
I have high hopes for your help. I disabled the bell or whistle that saves my energy bill. It should work now.

I’ll let you know. You have a kudo from me already.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @stannickel,

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for the post.

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. Is there a light showing on your device? How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables? In addition, have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV to see if you are seeing the same issue?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
stannickel
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You win the prize for best Community Support!
“Light showing on your device?” Light, what light?  Sure enough, I plugged the device in again, and sure enough the blue light came on.  I had never seen that before.  Everything has been on for an hour. I must have plugged my power adaptor into the wrong power strip—not plugged in!
I’m quite sure this is the answer. Thanks so much for your prompt and accurate reply.
Oh my goodness!
Kudos!

0 Kudos
stannickel
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, I cannot use my Express 4K+ on my Sony Bravia 75” tv at all. After about 20 minutes, the TV goes blank, and I have to restart it

I connected the Express 4K+ to my Vizio D32h - C0, and it works fine with that small 32” TV.  But, I bought it to use with my Sony Bravia, but it’s hopeless. Yes, I tried all of the HDMI ports, and “Yes” I plugged in the power supply.  The Power Supply blue indicator light goes off after a few minutes, so apparently something is wacky with the Expess 4K+.

I have an older model ROKU stick, and it works OK with both of my TVs.  The old model works best. I was stupid to buy an “upgrade” which has NO advantages over my old model, contrary to the ROKU company saying that a new product was necessary to have all the “new features”.  No new features that I could find at all.

This is a complaint as well as a plea for help.   ROKU support says my Express 4K+ does not have any online support.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@stannickel 

The newer Roku devices (like your Express 4k/4k+) have a Power Saving Feature. You need to press the Home button on your Roku Remote to wake the device once the feature has initiated.

Try disabling this feature from Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/20 mins

(https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

On my express 4K, the Roku has to be awake and the TV has to be on and set to that input for the LED to be on.  It’s not a simple power indicator. It may also be on during boot-up before it becomes controlled by the software.   Honestly, I don’t pay much attention to it. I realize it can be a debugging tool, but I think it can also lead you astray if you don’t know it’s exact behavior. (And I'm not sure I do.)

If you’re talking about a recent upgrade, I believe the new stuff they are talking about is in the future – that is they warn you when updates are stopping, but it might be fine for you for years, though how long also depends on the apps, as apps also eventually drop support for old players. (Sometimes before or after Roku does.)

stannickel
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Again, the community wins. I am fairly sure that this will fix my issue with ROKU killing my TV.

I guess the old TV didn’t have the bell or whistle that allowed gadgets to control it.so, the new 4K+ couldn’t whack it. The new 4-month old TV has the bell or whistle that exposes it to bad influences, like ROKU. 
I have high hopes for your help. I disabled the bell or whistle that saves my energy bill. It should work now.

I’ll let you know. You have a kudo from me already.

0 Kudos
stannickel
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

OK, it's been 24 hours and finally, ROKU Express 4K+ works fine.

Thank you AvsGunnar for your advice to stop the energy saving feature from kicking in and stopping my TV and ROKU device.  You were right on!!

Sometimes, with the best of intentions, companies provide features with overreach.  I think they should not be meddling with other companies' devices, in this case, Roku meddling with smart TVs and shutting them off automatically.  They may save a few pennies on my electric bill, but their "solution" just didn't work the way it probably was meant to.  Best to leave the smart TVs alone.

Thanks again AvsGunnar.  You saved the day for me!

0 Kudos