Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarkQuark
Reel Rookie

New Roku Ultra - Lossless sound capable?

Jump to solution

Does the new Roku Ultra (2024) passthrough lossless sound like TrueHD?  As far as I know the Nvidia Shield was the only one that did this and I have been waiting for Roku to follow.  As of now, even on passthrough, lossless sound codecs have to be transcoded.   Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuReynan-L
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: New Roku Ultra - Lossless sound capable?

Jump to solution

Hi, @DarkQuark.

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you have a question about the audio quality of our new Roku Ultra 2024. No worries, we're here to help.

Please be advised that the new streaming device does not support TrueHD/Lossless audio through passthrough. The highest is PCM/MAT which is via passthrough.

Furthermore, you may visit this support article on getting to know your Roku Ultra

If you need further clarification and assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Regards,
Reynan

Reynan L.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Timbiotic
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Amazon fire stick max 4k supports it 😊 just replaced my shields with it. Wish roku would catch up in hardware world , even wifi 6 is antiquated with 6ghz on 6e and 7. Roku is losing audiophiles

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It probably depends on the chipset used. It sounds like this is really only a minor update. Slightly faster with Wifi 6. Even the Ethernet is still only 100Mbit.

DarkQuark
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yeah I noticed the 10/100 and I thought, meh.  Minor update, probably 85% the exact same hardware.  Even Wifi6 itself is fairly minor.  6E would be the big jump.

But still, they have been dinking with the sound. We will see I guess.

0 Kudos
RokuReynan-L
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @DarkQuark.

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you have a question about the audio quality of our new Roku Ultra 2024. No worries, we're here to help.

Please be advised that the new streaming device does not support TrueHD/Lossless audio through passthrough. The highest is PCM/MAT which is via passthrough.

Furthermore, you may visit this support article on getting to know your Roku Ultra

If you need further clarification and assistance, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Regards,
Reynan

Reynan L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DarkQuark
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That's a shame but I do appreciate the concrete answer.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Timbiotic
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Amazon fire stick max 4k supports it 😊 just replaced my shields with it. Wish roku would catch up in hardware world , even wifi 6 is antiquated with 6ghz on 6e and 7. Roku is losing audiophiles

DarkQuark
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip.  Last I checked it was only a Shield and I I checked your info and you are correct .  The high-end Amazon stick and their cube support the lossless audio codecs in passthrough.  Which is what I am looking for.  I have been nothing but Roku for years and years because they did not make their money off mining my data andads.  Well that has shifted over the years so I will give this a spin.  Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.