Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adiaz7531
Channel Surfer

LG TV and Roku remote both required to access Roku apps menu

I have this same exact is with my second LG tv in my home. The Rokus are both less than a week old. The one on my older LG tv works as expected. The newer one when I use the Roku remote to power tv on, which it does, instead of going to the Roku Home Screen it starts off with the LG Home Screen. The Roku remote does nothing at this point except power the tv on or off. I need to use the magic remote to select the input which immediately takes me to the Roku remote which then becomes active. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: LG TV and Roku remote both required to access Roku apps menu

Hi @adiaz7531,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having trouble with the set up of your TV with the Roku streaming device. It seems like this issue is likely within the TV itself. It may be best to contact your TV manufacturer and inquire further about the issue.

We hope for your understanding regarding this.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@adiaz7531-

This is probably a setting on the TV itself where you can set what it displays when you start up.  You may be able to set it to display a specific input, or to start up displaying the same input that was being used when the set was turned off.

Edited to add:

Another possibility is you may be able to get the TV to switch to the input to which you have the Roku connected automatically:

• Enable "1-touch play" via Roku menu path Settings > System > Control other devices.
  • If your TV supports CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) on the HDMI port to which your Roku is connected, when you press a Roku control button in the Roku remote, the TV will come out of standby if necessary and switch to display the Roku's HDMI port.

On some sets you may need to have the TV do a scan or search first to identify connected CEC devices.  Also, some sets may not have CEC enabled by default and you may need to turn it on.

Unfortunately many tv manufacturers call the CEC function by their own proprietary names.  Some common ones: 

• AOC: E-link
• Hitachi: HDMI-CEC
LG: SimpLink or SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC)
• Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI, Realink for HDMI
• Panasonic: VIERA Link, HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync
• Onkyo: RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
• Philips: EasyLink
• Pioneer: Kuro Link
• Runco International: RuncoLink
• Samsung: Anynet+
• Sharp: Aquos Link
• Sony: BRAVIA Link, BRAVIA Sync, Control for HDMI
• Toshiba: CE-Link, Regza Link

Some other names shared by multiple manufacturers:
• Fun-Link, INlink, T-Link

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Williamt100
Roku Guru

My LG TV exhibits the same behavior.

I have a ROKU Ultra connected to my LG TV via HDMI -- if I press the "power button" on the ROKU remote, it turns on the TV, but doesn't proceed to the HDMI input that my ROKU is connected to.

However, if I press the "home" button on my ROKU remote, the TV turns on and displays the ROKU home screen immediately.

Perhaps your LG TV / ROKU system might do the same?

Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Williamt100-

The Power, Volume, and Mute buttons on your Roku device remote only act on the TV, not the Roku device.   Consequently they don't cause the Roku to send a CEC command to the TV through its HDMI connection.

To have the Roku send a CEC command to the TV, press one of the buttons that control the Roku, not the TV.   Home is an excellent choice but others work as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos