Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChellyBean
Reel Rookie

Is there a way to NOT have the same channels on multiple devices?

Jump to solution

I have two Roku Ultra devices. Each are listed as a separate location under my account (both are on same account). My children use the first device and have the channels installed as they like. I purchased the second one for myself. While installing, I noticed it loaded all of their channels (same channels as on first device). I went to delete their cartoons and add the channels I wanted. Then, found out that it deleted the channels from their device and replaced them with my new channels. I've exhausted my search in the help articles as well as on the community. I've struggled to receive assistance via chat. From what I have found, it seems this is supposed to be a "perk" from Roku to have all devices mirror each other if they are on the same account. Is there a way to turn this off? I'd hate to have to create a new email address just to have a separate Roku account. Any assistance would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is there a way to NOT have the same channels on multiple devices?

Jump to solution

@ChellyBean 

Not possible on devices on the same account. All devices on the same account have the same apps.

If you want a different app lineup, you need a separate Roku account for those different devices.

I hear rumors of a Profiles feature, but I have no inside information about it. Certainly no info from Roku about it. But, until it happens (if it every happens), separate accounts is the only option.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@ChellyBean 

Not possible on devices on the same account. All devices on the same account have the same apps.

If you want a different app lineup, you need a separate Roku account for those different devices.

I hear rumors of a Profiles feature, but I have no inside information about it. Certainly no info from Roku about it. But, until it happens (if it every happens), separate accounts is the only option.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
ChellyBean
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you!

Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@DBDukes  Not true...........

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@ChellyBean  Your welcome

0 Kudos
ChellyBean
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Darn, thank you for the quick reply! I certainly do not want my channel line-up flooded with what my children use, so I'll reset and start fresh with a separate account. Annoying, but it seems to be the only option. Profiles would be amazing. I'll certainly be on-board if that ever comes!

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You dont need separate Roku accounts. Just unlink the kids Roku from your account. I did this when I gave  my mother my old Roku TV. Read the link I posted.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Streamer317 

Never said that canceled anything. I said that to have separate app lineups, you need a separate Roku account. That is true.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

According to the link provided and from my own experience you do not. Unlinking a device does not effect the use of it. You can still use the unlinked device. Set the kids Roku up as needed. Then unlink it. They can still use it. The parents Roku will have it's own channels. I am still logged into my Mother's Roku TV which use to be mine. I has everything she needed. I hooked it up to her WiFi and she watches the channels she likes. I unlinked it from my account. A year later it still works, 

0 Kudos