Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimBal
Channel Surfer

Identify each indivual device

I have several Streaming Stick 4K's.  When I cast to one, I have to select which, but they're all labelled identically.  Is there a way to give each a name, location or something to distinguish them?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Identify each indivual device

Do they all have the same name/location in your account?  (ie: at roku.com)

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
JimBal
Channel Surfer

No.  They're all different.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@JimBal 

Does the casting app/method provide you the IP address of the device it want to connect to (ie. under the name of the Roku device(s) showing as available )?

If so, you can go to Settings/Network/About on your Roku device(s), you can make note of their IP addresses. (the last set of two or three numbers will be different from each other).

ie. 192.168.1.001 and 192.168.1.002 or you can have 192.168.10 and 192.168.1.11

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

What is the device you are using to cast? 

What is the device saying they are called? 

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
JimBal
Channel Surfer

I'm using Windows 11 and a Samsung Anrdroid.  

With Windows, several devices identified as "Streaming stick 4K" are available to cast to.  If I luck out and pick the right one, everything works out fine.  I have 4 of these, so it's just a matter of luck.

Android is the same, but I haven't been able to get to work yet.

0 Kudos
JimBal
Channel Surfer

No.  No IP address or anything beyond "Streaming Stick 4K."  Windows or Android displays same,

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@JimBal 

I don't really know of a way to rename since the info may just be being pulled from the hardware of the connected device.

A few of my casting apps (3rd party) for my Android do as you describe (just use the Roku device names, but all my Roku devices are different), but if you are up to try something new for your casting needs, I predominantly use Web Video Caster. (available in Play Store and in the Roku Channel Store).  

Web Video Caster will provide you the IP address of the device as well as the name of the device .

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/dd37e6d096d3197a9578787890118e33/web-video-caster-receiver

----

With WVC, you install the casting app to your Android, and the receiver channel on your Roku.  Can then cast both local and online content to your Roku device.  Free version is very featured (just an occasional ad on phone) or a $4 one-time purchase will remove ads and open all features like bookmarks.

-----

edited to add... If trying to cast online content, then WVC is a good way to go.  If wanting to cast local content from your PC/laptop, then you can also look into installing a simple server like Plex, Jellyfin, or others on it and then just use the appropriate Roku device and Roku Media Player directly with it.  (would help eliminate the guessing game where your content will be cast to like you are experiencing with the Win11 cast feature.)  The servers mentioned above all have a presence in the Roku Channel Store.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
JimBal
Channel Surfer

I'll give that a try....I can stand to gamble $4!

0 Kudos
atc98092

The names I assign to my devices under my Roku user account are what they show both in the Roku app and any device that looks for a casting/screen sharing destination. Are you certain you've named them differently on your user account site?

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos