Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enzofsilva

Re: How to save preferred (default) Guest Mode settings

Jump to solution

What I need is simple too:

Roku always restarts in guest mode every time a guest leaves.

Ready for the next guest to start on a fresh guest mode.

So, instead of Roku starting up after the guest leaves on my account set up with my apps, it starts a new guest mode setup for the new guest 

Possible?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The page you link to in your reply (and indeed on the my account page under Guest Mode) no longer exists. Do you have an updated link?

0 Kudos
BayViewRetreat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is all about cord cutting.  As you have captured.

The Requirement(s) is/are:

As a short-term rental owner I would like to provide:

Part 1) standard services for my rental customers which might be (i.e. Hulu, YouTube, HBO, Spectrum, AT&T, Focus, FIOS, etc.) provided as a courtesy by me and they can't change or charge to this account and is always available.  

Part 2) while also allowing for the renter to access a guest mode where they can use their own services and an auto resets on a day of my choosing (i.e. my renters are Saturday to Saturday) and the reset is every Saturday for guest mode.

Part 3) When the device is turned on there is a 60 second pause to choose which mode / option above the renter wants to choose.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@BayViewRetreat, I don't know if it will do any good, but you should try:

Suggest a Feature | Roku Community | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I completely agree with everyone else. Was hoping that Roku guest mode would be a great solution for my short term rentals. It is close, but it is missing that last step.

A custom guest mode would be perfect. As mentioned above, we need to be able to choose an app (or multiple) that are already signed in to the account that we provide for them, and then they can sign in to any other apps they want to use during their stay. At the end of their stay, all their accounts go bye bye and the next guest is left signed in to the one (or more) apps we provide for them and all the other apps are signed out, ready for them to sign in to their own.

Bregga

Jump to solution

This answer is horrible. 

that is not how guest mode works at all. Guess cannot sign into their own Roku account when in guest mode. 

0 Kudos
JackVette
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

As mentioned, I have a beach house I rent with many Roku TV's and devices in the house.

When I had cable boxes, guest mode worked fine as all TV's could get easily to the cable box in guest mode.  I really liked guest mode then.

I since cut the cord and went with the Spectrum streaming app for TV along with premium stations for the guests.  This gave them more channels at reduced my cost at the same time.

I was very disappointed that I could not have the Spectrum app preloaded on guest mode.  Every guest would need to load it themselves.

Just as I was concerned about, a guest didn't understand they needed to get the app loaded on the TV and was upset that I didn't provide cable for them.

Guest mode could be a good thing if Roku would listen to this need.  I don't understand why they don't.

I think I must eliminate guest mode.

PPRentals
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Honestly, at this point I would consider guest mode to be a dead feature.  It hasn't changed at all since it was introduced almost 4 years ago, and still has bugs from around when it was released that have yet to be fixed or even mentioned by anyone.

Basically, best I can tell, guest mode is a quick and dirty hack that happens to be useful (when it works), and putting any effort into the feature just isn't going to happen.

0 Kudos
RIBrewGuy

Jump to solution

I am in a similar situation, but slightly different. I have 7 TVs in a rental house that my family often uses. I would prefer that when Guest Mode is disabled it would use my family’s settings. Then when it’s enabled the Roku would provide clean settings, as it currently does. Then when it is disabled it would fall back to my family’s settings. Currently, it doesn’t do that last part. So when I use the house I need to reset everything to pre-guest settings. This seems like a relatively easy feature to provide. 

0 Kudos
PPRentals
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RIBrewGuyAfter you disable guest mode, have the Roku check for updates. That should reinstall your channels.

0 Kudos