Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_Jeff_
Reel Rookie

How to configure audio settings when piping a Roku Ultra into a Roku TV? 🤔

Hi everyone, I have a TCL 75R617 TV running Roku OS that is connected to my surround sound via optical cable (SPDIF). It's been set up this way since the TV was new, and everything has always sounded great. My receiver is older, so it lacks HDMI but it does understand Dolby Digital and DTS.

The TCL hardware seems to be getting a little long in the tooth for the Roku OS, though, so I bought a Roku Ultra 4800R to "upgrade" the TV, and configured the TV to automatically switch to the Ultra when it powers on.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to configure the audio so that full quality sound makes it to my receiver.  I want audio to go from the Ultra to the TV via HDMI, and then go from the TV to the receiver over optical. It appears to work correctly, in that there's sound, but when watching a movie from the Ultra, the subwoofer is quieter than when watching a movie from the TV (using the TV's native streaming apps), and lacks "punch". I'm wondering if one of the devices is converting audio from one format to another and discarding some sound data.

If anyone could help walk me through the audio settings on the Ultra and the TCL, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

0 Kudos