Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cindy317
Channel Surfer

How do I get rid of the robotic voice

Jump to solution

I did find the Screen Reader under settings but it's turned OFF.  Pressing the * button 4 times the message says it's enabled.  Pressing it * 4 more times still says it's enabled. But in settings Screen Reader is turned OFF.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: how do I get rid of the robotic voice

Jump to solution

@Cindy317,

Thanks for the post,

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We're pleased to assist.

A system restart is the least invasive reset method.

1. Press Home home button on Roku remote on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

In either case, your Roku device will complete a system restart and hopefully return to normal operation after a moment.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@Cindy317,

Thanks for the post,

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We're pleased to assist.

A system restart is the least invasive reset method.

1. Press Home home button on Roku remote on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

In either case, your Roku device will complete a system restart and hopefully return to normal operation after a moment.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
Cindy317
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion.  I found out it was the TV remote that I wasn't even using.  I've been using the ROKU remote to operate my TV so when it started announcing things, I assumed it was with the ROKU remote. Still have no idea how a non used remote turned on the voice commands but some mysteries in life are good. 😄

0 Kudos
Mjp77
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I did the system restart and have the reader off and it’s still talking. So frustrating 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mjp77,

Thanks for the first post to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention about the issue you've been experiencing on your streaming device and the steps you took to resolve the issue.

We'd be more than happy to look into this further. For us to help you better, we will ask a set of questions to isolate the issue:

• What model of your Roku device were you using when you observed this issue?
  • Are you referring to a robotic voice that reads menus or a voice that describes the action in a video?

They are two different and unrelated things. The robotic voice is the "Screen reader" and can be turned off in the Roku Settings menu. The voice describing the action in a video is part of the audio track. To turn it off, choose a different audio track.

Some channels/apps allow you to choose the audio track before starting a video, and others use the Roku default method of pressing * while a video is playing, then going into "Accessibility & language" and choosing a different audio track. Some programs contain multiple audio tracks that can be selected, such as those in other languages or verbal, while viewing the program and examining the options presented.

Please keep us posted, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mjp77
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It’s a Roku TV and it’s definitely the reader. It announces everything and we were watching a show on Netflix and it was still announcing TV channel information in the background while we watched Netflix. It does it when not watching Netflix. We did the reset several times as well. Nothing is making the voice stop. The reader shows off. I also took care of the short cut. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.