Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_K
Reel Rookie

Guest mode is basically useless - here's how Roku should fix it

There are several LONG threads about how guest mode doesn't do what people need/want it do to. I'm wondering if there are many users who find guest mode useful? I don't. Like many others, I have a vacation rental property....and in theory guest mode would be the perfect solution. But in its current configuration it is absolutely worthless. I have disabled guest mode because it creates too much work for guests and doesn't work at all for owners who provide streaming service like Comcast or Spectrum cable. As it stands, my guests now constantly leave my property with their accounts still signed in, but I don't really have a choice. It's a mess.

Here's how guest mode SHOULD work:

1. Owner sets up default apps for guest mode (not Roku's default apps). Guests have the option to install more apps if they want, but each owner probably has a solid understanding of the most used apps in his/her area. AppleTV, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, YouTube etc.

2. Owner should be able to log into, and lock, select apps. For example, if an owner provides streaming service from Comcast or Spectrum Cable, the owner logs into their account on the app in guest mode and then LOCKS that app. As it stands now, the owner cannot even pre-install their cable company app, let alone sign into it. And the owner can't just leave their account access info for guests to use!

3. Guests turn on the TV and enter their departure date (a time should also be required since that can vary). They can immediately use the owner's provided service (comcast, spectrum, At&T etc) or sign into their own accounts on Netflix, Hulu, etc. or install other apps that they want to use.  When their departure time hits, the Roku signs them out of any apps they used and resets to the owner's default guest mode.

I don't know how to get Roku's attention on this and get them to consider changing the way guest mode works, but perhaps if numerous Roku owners here liked or commented on this post they might get the message. Thanks for reading this!

7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Guest mode is basically useless - here's how Roku should fix it

You could try Suggest a Feature | Roku Community | Roku 

I don't know if it will get any attention there, but at least there's a place to make suggestions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
fredneck
Roku Guru

Not the same and what you described would be ideal. Another option would be to buy a separate low-cost Roku for your Guest space and create its own account. Then you can install any channels you need and keep everything separated from your main Roku.

Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels
0 Kudos
Tim_K
Reel Rookie

Buying additional rokus doesn't help. I think you are misunderstanding My concerns. I don't care about keeping separation from "my Roku account". My vacation home has its own rokus with their own account. That's not the issue/concern. Even if I set them up with the apps I want it doesn't address the problems. 

Problem 1. 

Guests log into their own Netflix and apple TV apps. But they never remember to log out. This is where the functionality of guest mode would come into play if it worked as I described above. 

Problem 2. 

I utilize streaming tv from YouTube TV (the same problem would exist for any streaming service including those provided by local cable tv operators like Comcast or spectrum). I would need to log in to the YouTube TV account on the roku app. If there are any issues where the device was reset or the guest logged me out, there would be no way to log back in without providing account access to the guest. I don't want to share account login access with random guests. 

PPRentals
Channel Surfer

Honestly, at this point I would consider guest mode to be a dead feature.  It hasn't changed at all since it was introduced almost 4 years ago, and still has bugs from around when it was released that have yet to be fixed or even mentioned by anyone.

Basically, best I can tell, guest mode is a quick and dirty hack that happens to be useful (when it works) and putting any effort into the feature just isn't going to happen.  Additionally, what you're asking for would likely require the developers of every app to add a "locking" feature individually, which is unlikely.

The best option right now if you absolutely need to have signed in applications is likely to set up the device with a PIN to purchase content, and either just telling guests to remember to set out because you don't guarantee you'll do it if they forget, or to completely reset everything when they log out and set the entire thing back up.  It wouldn't be impossible to write a script on something like a raspberry pi to completely reset the roku, but it would be incredibly tedious.

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Great suggestions by the original poster. The problem is Roku doesn't give a damm! Nothing you suggested will ever be implemented. After endless complaints about the Roku remote malfunctions Roku still can't give us voice remotes that don't drain the batteries like crazy! And Roku won't even bother to create an option to turn the extremely glitchy and annoying 'low battery notification' off that pops up on the screen. The only thing Roku is interested in is their ad revenue.

StoryHack
Channel Surfer

Some of that functionality has been requested. https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/Feature-Request-Configure-Default-Channel-Selection-...

That particular request has had more kudos and replies than pretty much any other request, and the responses early on from Roku did not address the core request (have an owner set the default apps for guests)

0 Kudos
ballin_kc

Kudo's this is exactly how guest mode should function.