Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Slimey-
Reel Rookie

Re: Error 004 failed update leads to blank frozen screen

Same for me but my post got flagged as spam. 3800X

0802242228.jpg

0 Kudos
GMan77778

Created an account just to post what worked for me on my Roku Streaming Stick.

Press the Home button on your remote 5 times, then press Fast Forward > Fast Forward > Fast Forward > Rewind > Rewind

From there, a prior part suggested checking to make sure you weren't on the Beta software update sent by selecting "Cycle software update server", so that's probably a good first step.

What solved it for me was to manually trigger the update from the secret menu  via the "Update software" option.
That successfully updated the software and automatically restarted the device.
Then, it landed on the same update software screen after reboot, but that was successful this time and automatically rebooted again.
Then, it booted normally, and everything worked.

TL;DR: Use secret menu to manually trigger software update.

0 Kudos
GMan77778

Additional detail to the above post:
I had to click OK and wait for the automatic install to fail before I could access the secret menu.

0 Kudos
eringobraghski
Channel Surfer

Thanks, Gman.

I had found that thread and tried that before, but I tried again this morning juuuuuuust in case. No dice.

I was already on the release server due to the previous attempts. Cycled the release server and attempted from both beta and release. They failed at 84%ish.

On the plus side, the while thing didn't freeze and I was able to Cancel back to the menu and use the Roku (unlike when it tries to auto update).

After restarting the device, it again forced an auto update, failed, and froze.

0 Kudos
Kate10

Any updates to how to fix this?  Maybe I’m missing it.  I get the frozen screen, as well.  Is it related to the type of Roku we have? 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We appreciate the information you have provided. Please be aware that we have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

In the meantime, @Kate10, please help us with the details below so we can send additional information for the investigation to our appropriate Roku team.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID)

Furthermore, we'll update this Community thread once more information is available. We appreciate your patience and understanding while we investigate this issue.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.