Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Credit Card Requirement I

As far as I can tell from reading various articles (some of which are sensationalism at its worst), credit card information wasn't actually stolen.  People signed into accounts using a username and password the user used elsewhere (very, very bad practice) and then ordered subscriptions and Roku products.  They didn't actually get any credit card number. If anyone has different information or more details I'd like to hear it. 

I don't consider this a hack of Roku's system - just ignorant users getting burned.  And 15 thousand out of millions upon millions of accounts is hardly a "massive breach".  🙄

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
edroksense
Roku Guru

Today Mar 14 in Yahoo web and android cell phone google web it show that Roku web was hacked by 50,000 account only out of millions and for sale  at a site for .50 cents per account.

Luckily that I did not use my credit card but only antenna live Roku and  Roku 3 player is still working well.

Roku did not ask holder/s  to change password or any sort of precautions ... they leave it as is...

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@edroksense wrote:

Roku did not ask holder/s  to change password or any sort of precautions ... they leave it as is...

I was forced to change my password yesterday. My account didn't appear to have been breeched, and I don't have a CC stored with them either. But I could not log in with my existing password and had to do a reset. So Roku did do something about it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
VAR
Roku Guru

Re: Roku customer data hacked and sold

Heard the same also I read  on the internet and claims that roku should send a notification to those whose information was stolen

i agree there should be better safe guards 

has anyone been notified yet??

0 Kudos
VAR
Roku Guru

Re: Did anyone hear of the Roku Hack

I didn’t have any issue signing in, just my thumb 

0 Kudos
dvarga
Reel Rookie

I called them yesterday.  There was no small feat as they make it almost impossible to talk to a person there.  they claimed that if anyone was part of the group (15K or 50K…?) that was hacked that Roku sent out an email to them, notifying them. I was not notified.  Roku said that as a precaution they also then changed all Roku users passwords, such as what I found with my account. Then I reset it. I confirmed they did not have my credit card number. 

VAR
Roku Guru

So far I had no pw change

0 Kudos
VAR
Roku Guru

So far I had no pw change

0 Kudos
o2night
Streaming Star

@atc98092 wrote:

Yes, already posted here on the community. It amounted to maybe 50,000 user accounts. Considering Roku has millions of users, it was a very small percentage of accounts that were hacked. It's a very good reason to not keep a credit card stored in your user account. 

Doesn't matter how many.  Even one is too many.  And we heard it from an outside source.  This along with the bricked televisions from a forced arbitration, is enough to know they can't be trusted.

o2night
Streaming Star

@Strega2 wrote:

From what I’ve read, this hack was to get passwords from one place and then try them at other places.  The underlying reason it works is because some people still use the same password at many places.  If you’re not one of those, you should be safe from this one. 

Maybe, but how many people can keep up with a different password for every single app, website or program they have?  And if you think those password keepers are safe....well.....enough said.

0 Kudos