Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
igorfreeman
Reel Rookie

Controller issues only in streaming player with flash drive

Jump to solution

In the last couple of weeks I have had issues while trying to navigate the media player.  The remote works fine while using other apps.  One press of the down or up button will make the cursor move 2 or 3 times.  I can manage to open files, but fastforwarding to a specific time in the video is nearly impossible.  The controls just won't work right.  I have tried 2 different flash drives now.  I have used both of the flash drives in the past with no issues.

Thanks

J

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Controller issues only in streaming player with flash drive

Jump to solution

Your problem may not be with your remote, but with your Roku's response to the remote. As with so many problems with electronic devices, a restart may be all it needs. [Note: If you have a Roku TV with "Fast TV Start" enabled, turning it off/on puts it in/out of a standby mode but does not give you a full restart.]

Depending on your Roku model you'll find the "System restart" option under "Settings > System > Power" or if you don't have a "Power" option, under "Settings > System".

If a restart doesn't do it, or if you don't have sufficient control with the remote to navigate the Roku menus, you can also restart by pulling the power plug to the Roku for a few seconds then plugging it back in and waiting for it to restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092

Jump to solution

Roku Media Player hasn't had any updates in over three years for video playback, and frankly it has numerous problems. I don't know what Roku is doing about it, but for USB drive access there are other channels available in the channel store. There's no other option for streaming from a home DLNA server, but Play USB is available for USB only playback. It's not free, but the cost is quite minimal ($2.99) and it's only a one time charge.

Remember that originally Roku players were only developed for streaming from the Internet. Playing from a USB drive or a media server was an afterthought. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Your problem may not be with your remote, but with your Roku's response to the remote. As with so many problems with electronic devices, a restart may be all it needs. [Note: If you have a Roku TV with "Fast TV Start" enabled, turning it off/on puts it in/out of a standby mode but does not give you a full restart.]

Depending on your Roku model you'll find the "System restart" option under "Settings > System > Power" or if you don't have a "Power" option, under "Settings > System".

If a restart doesn't do it, or if you don't have sufficient control with the remote to navigate the Roku menus, you can also restart by pulling the power plug to the Roku for a few seconds then plugging it back in and waiting for it to restart.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
igorfreeman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you very much!  A restart seems to have done the trick.  I thought I already did that, but I guess I didn't the most obvious thing first.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.